Bike blowing blue smoke

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HSV_Hunny04

Reaction score
hey guys as u know i had troubles with my bike not starting now its starting with a new carby installed but it seems to be blowing a lot of smoke now dose any one have any ideas wat this could mean hopfully no more bad news?? and also with the new carby it dosnt not seem to idle even tho we have turned the idle screw in and out any one can help me with that problem as well :(
thanks guys

How much smoke?????? A Lot or just a bit? Could be ur piston n rings or maybe mixture is wrong?

its a brand new carby i got today so the mixture should be good not heaps just a lil bit but it could be cause it hasent been goin for ages or somthing i am not sure

Blue/White smoke = Burning oil
Browny smoke = Rich mixture
What carby did you end up getting? most china carbys will need some kind of tuning when you get them new. If it wont idle, there are 2 screws to adjust;
The big one with a spring on the outside that will lift the slide up or down ever so slightly will adjust the speed.
Then a small flat one usually in front of the slide 'air screw' to adjust the mixture if adjusting these doesn't get it idling you may need to change jets.

my bike with the big bore muffler throws alto of white/black smoke:confused:

but that just the rag i got wedged in there to make the gap a bit tighter burning lol

its blowing blue/ white
umm i dont remember the name, they told me its already set i dont need to touch the mixture screw all i have to do when i get it home was just screw the idle screw to make it idle and i put a bigger jet in it as well

Heres some good info on causes of smoke from Cactus:

Sources of white /grey / or blue smoke are :

1) Poorly sealing rings on the bore wall ie rings or bore worn out of round , honing peaks gone without rings bedding in ... bore wall or rings scratched or gouged by grit ... Rings can also be stretched out of round during installation or removal and they'll never ever seal again ... Even if rings are carefully removed from a bore ... the cylinder MUST be re-honed for them to re-seal to a high degree again ...

2) Ring end gaps too big ... Ring end gaps not properly staggered or in the wrong position in the bore ...

3) Oil can leak past worn , damaged or incorrectly installed valve stem oil seals ... the symptoms are usually a puff of white smoke on start up that goes away or diminishes as the engine warms up ... oil leaks into the ports while the engine is sitting ... but the leakage rate is too slow to make smoke while the engine is running ... The engine can puff white smoke when the throttle is backed off since the cylinder vacuum sucks hard on the seals when the slide is shut off ... The same can happen if the ring seal is bad too ... only the oil gets sucked up from the crank case ... Oil mist or smoke blowing out from the dipstick or vents can also indicate bad ring seal / blowby ...

3) Bore scuffed from over heating ... the rings expand , the ends butt tightly together , the ring keeps expanding and forces too hard on the bore scraping the honing off and glazing the bore ... then when the engine cools , the bore is bigger than the rings ... it only has to be a micro thou bigger to be no good ...

4) Those junk thin steel shim gaskets that are supplied with some BBK's combined with the removal of the rubber O-ring and trumpet piece can allow oil to leak from the gallery into the bore ... Once again , the oil gets sucked into the cylinder on backing off the throttle from high revs ... Only copper or stock type gaskets which expand or crush unevenly can fill variances in between machined surfaces ... For a steel gasket to work , the machining would have to be perfect ... and that's pure fantasy without hand scraping and lapping each individual cylinder head to the cylinder ... They say to use Honda bond or some other type of hardening gasket cement , but anything like that can be blown out or crack and leak ... The very idea of using it to do the job of a head gasket is ridiculous ... and BODGEY ...

5) Even IF the parts were lapped to perfection ... the tensions of each cylinder stud would all have to be precisely the same and torqued in the proper sequence to avoid distortion ...

Bad ring seal or a blown head gasket causes smoking to get worse as the engine revs higher ... The colour varies from grey to white as the amount of oil getting burnt increases ... Only a rich fuel to air ratio burns black ...

Latest posts

Back