Bike for a beginner

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimbeveridge

Reaction score
Hi there.

My 11 year old son wants to give motor bike riding a go. We would go to one of the motor cross tracks like frankston or dandenong.

After some research we are looking at the Atomik 70cc which is a semi auto model.

Question is - would this model be about right for an 11 year old with no experience.

Is the Atomik pretty reliable and safe?

We don't want to spend too much up front, so thought something like this looks like a good option.

Thanks in advance.
Kim.

i reckon it be ok.. they preety cheap etc.. all i gotta say is make sure ya go over all bolts etc before havin a blast.. n maybe just go over bolts after each ride esp the rear sprocket... but that all just general up keep mate.. semi auto are good but as any boy.. he goin to wanna go to a manual clutch n go faster.. haahaha but i reckon go auto til he gets idea of riding n when ready n if still keen upgrade mate..but just that just my two cents.. all best thou..

if you dont no anything about motors and maintaining motorbikes then id probably look at getting a second hand honda or jap bike. not a chinese one, as chinese ones will give you problems. dont just listen to me though as others will have better and more experienced advice.

yeh that true aswell... but if he not wanting to spend alot and the kid only semi interested it can leave a bit of a hole in the pocket yeh.. a genuine honda or kawa would be awesome but price to match.. but maintenance is key.. from oil changes after firs ride or wearing in period which they say normally first tank.. from cleaning carby and air filters... like wipeass said if ya not 100% with motors etc on this forum theses heaps of ppl to help ya.. look un in the review section some one may or may not of done a review on the bike..

If you don't know anything about maintance a china woud be better. Will teach you to look after your bike. So when you pregress to a bigger better bike you'll know the basics of maintance.

I'd reckon the atmoik would be fine, good for a starter. Have a look through here:
- http://www.miniriders.com/bike-setup/24239-achtung-noobs-your-new-pitbike-you-set-up-tips.html

There is alot of good information to set up your bike properly the first time. Set up of your bike the first time will ensure it last longer and runs better.

Once you do what that link says adjust your valves and change the oil to some good 15w/40 non synthetic oil befor starting the bike. Good place of information for you'll be here:
- Mini Tutorials & How To's - Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Goodluck with the bike and keep us updated ;)

Last edited:
WELL ,I have bought one for my nephew

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go for a secondhand crf50 for round a grand. Honda reliability, and if he doesnt take an interest you can sell it for what you paid for it, if he gets into it then once he needs more power you can sell it for what you paid for it. Win/win really. I'm not china bashing, they're good value for money but have next to no resale value.

what motodave said crf50 forsure

Thanks for all your responses, ill try and decide between the Atomik and a CRF50...

thanks
Kim

Latest posts

Back