Bike hire: peewee50

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlumMum

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm here to learn more to help my son follow his passion. I'm not in a rush to get him on a bike but for some time he's been wanting to learn to ride. Well, given that he is 6 years old and for some time has been fascinated and needing to know and understand everything about bikes. He insisted he had to have a bicycle with two brakes on the handle bars, just like a bike, lol... Plus there is a suzuki TLR100 vTwin superbike that resdies in the garage and he knows everything about that bike too. The urge to ride a peewee is growing.

So, my question is... is there a place we can hire a little peewee 50 and gear for him to learn to ride? I'm not sure what my next step should be.

Feedback and advice is welcome, thank you

PlumMum

Hey,
It depends on where you live and how far you want to travel to pick up and drop off the bike..

PW50's don't cost all that much, and you might find that after hiring one a couple of times, you've already paid half the bike's value..

Not many places hire out small bikes like that, I'll do a search for one now though.
Cheers.

EDIT:
Found 2 sites that look good:
Motor Bike Hire - Yamaha PW50, Motorbike Hire, Motorbikes
Hire

Last edited:
Plus when you hire a dirt bike you generally get charged a bond. Depending on the bike this is usually like a grand.

Better off just buying one. By the sounds of it, it's not like the kid isn't going to like it being that into bikes.

Another question about bikes

Hi

Thank you for your feedback.

Pascal125, I'm located in Sydney, I expect I will have to travel some distance in order for him to ride, so that's okay. I saw a thread here about a park named Pacific Park which sounds quite good. I think you're right about the bike hire outcosting the purchase of a peewee because I'd have to also look at getting him a helmet and gear to wear aswell.

Motovertman, I agree, my son will probably ride more than once, I've overcome my 'over protective' streak and accept his desire to ride, lol.

2freeq, thanks for the info on Lammas Group's peewee dirt bike. I'll have to look in to them.

So, my next question in searching for a bike... do you think its best to start them on a bike with cluth and gears straight away? Or am I off track? what is important to look at in searching for a bike suitable for him? hmmm, should this be another thread, lol

hey plummum,

to be honest with you i think he would be best off starting out on a bike with a clutch so he gets used to it straight away, but then i've never taught young kids to ride before, so it might be too much at once?
like i said, i think it would be best to just get straight into it, but then theres probably some kids who would get turned off if they were given too much to learn at once. so i guess that decision comes down to what YOU think would be best your child specificaly.

i have ridden at pacific park before and its not too bad. theres not all that much to do out there though, its pretty much grass tracks from memory.
there is a kids track there too right next to the pit area so you can watch your kids while theyre riding.
it would probably be a good idea to go check out the place before you ride there anyway.

i have to agree with 2freeq that maybe you should look at getting a cheaper, less well known brand of bike off ebay as your sons first bike incase he does decide that its not for him, or he outgrows it sooner than you expected, but thats debatable because some of the ebay bikes are really low quality and you'd have to question how safe they are.

anyway i hope i've helped you a bit, any other questions feel free to ask, we're more than willing to help :)

Hi Twisties

I was thinking it would be best to start with a clutch first off. I thought it would allow him to focus on HOW to ride and not just GOING FAST. But like you, I’ve not taught children.

I noticed with the Lammas bikes they take a mixture of petrol and oil. I was hoping to avoid any pre-mixing. They are cheap though.

I do like the look of the Zuma bikes and ofcourse Yamaha seems to have a good reputation. I imagine on-selling a reputable brand is better too.

bare with me here, im trying to explain this the best i can but its going to get confusing :p
also, sorry if you already know some of this info, its hard to explain things like this when your not sure how much the person your explaining it too already knows :)

the lamma needs pre-mixed fuel as its a 2-stroke. the 49cc bikes on ebay are usualy 2-stroke engines (probably because theyre cheaper to buy), however if you got a honda crf50 (which is just a honda 50cc), or a yamaha peewee 50, they are 4-stroke engines.

having said that, once you move on to 70cc, 110cc, 125cc EBAY brand bikes - they all tend to be 4-stroke engines (which dont require you to pre-mix fuel).
HOWEVER - most of them are semi-automatic engines until you get into 110cc onwards.
that means that you still change gears with your foot but you dont use a clutch.
110cc onwards might be a bit too much for a 6year old though.

if your dead keen on getting a bike with a clutch then you might be looking at say a kawasaki kx60, or a KTM 60, BUT these are 2-strokes once again requiring you to mix fuel (also because its a 2-stroke it will have a lot more power and could once again be too much power for a 6year old).

your correct in saying yamaha would be an easy bike to sell on, along with honda or suzuki etc etc, but your paying more for it initially - whereas if you buy an ebay bike it costs you virtually nothing in comparison so you probably wouldnt bother selling it on.

sorry if thats confusing, i was getting confused just writing it! i was just trying to cover any questions you might have. i hope all that has helped in some way! :)

Are you serious??? lol. Your going to give a 6 year old a bike with a clutch?? One dump of the clutch, over the back he goes, there goes the confidence and probably the will to want to ride again. Great idea!!

Let the kid worry about riding the bike (eg balance, brakes, turning) get his confidence up, have some fun, then worry about the clutch and gears. All the basics need to be covered and learnt properly before worrying about the clutch and gears. It's way to much for a 6 year old to comprehend everything and remember it straight up. the will think's it's too hard and it will become a deterant.

Does he know how to ride bmx/moutnatin bikes? If he hasn't mastered the basics you learn from riding these, I wouldn't even let him touch a bike. But that's me, and I have taught quite a few little tackers.

Get him a CRF50 or something similar if he has any bike experience. Hope I have helped a bit.

I don't know alot about bikes at all so I'm glad you explained some things to me. It wasn't confusing at all so thanks for taking the time to go through it.

I don't think I should go for a bike with a clutch at this stage. And I think a KTM60 would be to powerful for the youngster.

So the next question may again prove I'm a novice... is it difficult to pre-mix the fuel? How is this done?
Do most avoid 2 strokes because of having to pre-mix fuel? Or is is just that I'm a woman and want to avoid it, lol.

Thanks for being patient with my questions as I do my research in to bikes

Motovertman, thanks for being so straight forward, its appreciated.

I will forget the clutch and gears. He has good mountain bike experience. I’m comfortable with him moving forward. I understand what you’re saying and making sure he’s comfortable with the balance, braking and turning first etc. You have helped a lot. Keep the suggestions and advice coming

Thank you

Motovertman, thanks for being so straight forward, its appreciated.

I will forget the clutch and gears. He has good mountain bike experience. I’m comfortable with him moving forward. I understand what you’re saying and making sure he’s comfortable with the balance, braking and turning first etc. You have helped a lot. Keep the suggestions and advice coming

Thank you

Glad I could help.

Don't get a 2 stroke if possible. It's not hard to mix fuel but it's a pain in the ass. Plus 2 strokes have a bit more go to them and can be jerkier. Not needed yet. Something with smooth power delivery is what is needed. Everything to build his confidence up!!

Seeing he has moutain bike experience (balance more importantly) then I would go with a CRF50 for sure. Or if you want to go Yamaha then a TTR-50. Once he can ride the thing flat out, then worry about a bigger bike. It's all about taking baby steps!!

I'm glad you mentioned the 2 stroke being jerkier. I'm going to Google some bikes and read up now so I wont bother you with my novice questions :)

It's no problem at all.

Better off asking as many questions as possible now before purchasing one!!

+1 on the crf50 they have a throttle restricter screw so you govern how fast the bike will go,being a 3 speed semi auto it allows you to put it in 1st or 2nd gear with the throttle restricter screwed in so the bike will only move at a snails pace then as he gains experience you can screw the throttle out to increase speed.
it makes it alot easier to learn to ride like this my little brother got his crf50 on 6th birthday he learnt to ride in 10 minutes flat ...

PlumMum do not buy one of them shit box cheap 50cc bikes off ebay if you ever go to sell it you will be lucky if you can get any money back for it. Go with a honda or a yamaha and you will get 1/2 your money back even in two or so year"s time. i got my 4 year old a ttr50 at xmas time he loves it becase of the electric start and its nice and easy to ride

NEW ATOMIK MOTOX 50CC PIT DIRT BIKE MOTOR THUMPSTAR - eBay Other Trail Bikes, Trail Bikes, Motorcycles, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 22-Jan-09 19:30:00 AEDST)

try getting one like that. they are reasonably cheap. 4 stroke (so no mixing fuel) and most crf50 mods will fit on it too. :)

this bike you will have to change gears but it involves no clutch work, it is a semi auto. i would reckonmend getting one just like this, as i learnt on a semi auto 50cc. and even if your son just clicks it up into first gear and trundles around in 1st he wont need to worry bout putting it in neutral to stop and all that.

also these bikes will be fairly reliable for what your son will be wanting to be doing.

You should get him a CRF50 or TTR50 there are soo much more reliable! The other chinese stuff on ebay always seem to break down and more time fixing then riding.

Is the Pee Wee 50 a slightly more advanced bike than the TTR50E?

Please keep in mind I'm just learning about the specifications of bikes, I'm not offended if you point out some obvious facts I may have overlooked in comparing the bikes :)

Latest posts

Back