bike start problems -- please help

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey guys, ive got a 110cc pitbike, its had a few issues with the kick starter and now its pretty rooted.. ive high tensile bolted the kick start on as tight as i can get it, but it keeps slipping beacuse the shaft has no thread.
what im asking is, it it possible to attach an electric starter to the engine, how much would that cost and how hard it is... or any other suggestions.. thanks

have had many people say that, or to drill a hole through the shaft and lever and put a bolt through that.. will have a look .

is it the thread thats stripped or the spline?
spline?as nasty as it sounds...weld it...cheap bikes.
next time...make sure its tight:p
or!!!!
get one of those 1mm cut off wheels from bunnings and widen the slot...

stripped thread?

try retapping to suit an m7 or m8 bolt....m8s way more common:p

Bulldog- whats tap n die?

headsmess - yeah its the thread around the shaft..
a few people are saying weld it.. but i got little training on the welder and worried the shaft mite over heat and bend... is that possible?

has anyone actually drilled through a shaft before... is it hard? whats it made out off??

tap- puts a thread in a hole to suit the same thread that is on the bolt

die- puts a thread on a bolt that has seen better days

you should be able to weld it quite easily if youve had a bit of practice on a welder, you need to put in quite a bit of heat to bend something that thick

and you can drill pretty easily through any metal, just take it easy. if you have a drill press use that but if you have a power drill dont just kick the drill in high speed and burn the drill bit out, keep pumping the drill, on-off-on-off. and when you go to tap the hole, use some trefoflex or other cutting compound on the tap and go real slow, otherwise youll either snap the tap in the hole or strip the hole your tapping.

Last edited:
when welding the shaft try not to go to long because if the shaft gets to hot the shaft will expand and if there are any bearings there they can get stuffed and when taping pick the correct drill eg if u were taping a 8mmx1.25 u would need to minus the pitch from the mm so 8 -1.25 but because its a shaft like that go with a 7 mm drill i hoped this helps

thansk to everyone for the sugestions / information. i will be drilling through the shaft gradually increasing the drill bits width to 1/4 maybe 7mm, then probable get a professional to weld some spots beacuse i dont want to over heat the shaft and bend it or something.
thanks, will

all this worry:p...out with the mig(or stick if youre cheap) weld it good and then pour some water on it...

seriously, how much is the bike worth?

hmmm

the worth of the bike solves this

if it's good spend the $30 and replace the shaft (gears should be ok)

if it's a sh!ter weld it

dont waste the time

hey mate if i were you DONT weld it because if you need to get to the right hand casing you screwed!! drill a hole through the shaft and the kick start and put a strengthend bolt in it and make sure the bolt is the exact size of the hole or it will snap easily.
hope this can help and let us know what u do

Latest posts

Back