Bike won't start after washing it/riding in wet

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skintag9

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I stupidly went riding on the weekend in all the mud and rain.

I took it to a car wash place after and sprayed it with the high pressure hose. Trying to start it now, and I can't get it to start at all. I tried rolling starts down a hill and it didn't fire once.

I took the spark plug out and checked to see if I'm getting a spark - there is no spark getting generated.

Any ideas on what might be the problem? I think it must be electrical something. I am hoping it might just be some water and aftrer a few days it will dry out and all will be ok.

Any ideas would help.

Last edited:
your magneto could be stuffed and you might need a new one.

First of all, take ur carby apart and clean it out as it is prob full of water, take ur plastics off and hit everything electrical that got wet with a hair dryer. Take ur magneto cover off and make sure it is dry.
Why ppl say if it gets wet it is rooted is beyond me.
When I wash my bikes I plug the exhaust and cover the carby and high pressure clean everything, I have never had a prob once everything was dry.

and skintag9,
it is not stupid to ride in the mud and rain it is FUN!!!!!
did the same yesterday myself...

no worries daniel40, u may be right, but it wont be cause it got wet...

Sounds like you got the magneto wet, dry every thing really thoroughly.

First of all, take ur carby apart and clean it out as it is prob full of water, take ur plastics off and hit everything electrical that got wet with a hair dryer. Take ur magneto cover off and make sure it is dry.
Why ppl say if it gets wet it is rooted is beyond me.
When I wash my bikes I plug the exhaust and cover the carby and high pressure clean everything, I have never had a prob once everything was dry.

Thanks. Yeah my exhaust was full of water. I need to make a plug or something so it won't get water in it.

I did take the cover off the magneto, but only to check if dirt could get in there. I will open it again and let air in case there's some water in there.

What do you need to do to the carby exactly? I took the air filter off it.

Hey again,
just undo the drain screw at the bottom of your carb with the the fuel turned on and drain about 100-200 mls of fuel, this should clear any water that would be in there.
if this doesn't work remove the carby from the manifold and undo the cap that holds the slide (the throttle cable) and undo the 4 screws from the bottom of the carb.
Separate the 2 pieces and drain all the fuel, making sure there are no signs of water and put back together and reinstall on ur bike.
and make sure ur filter is completely dry and re-oiled before reinstalling.

Well so far I have done the following and I still can't get the bike to start:

1. Drained fuel from the carburetor.
2. Taken apart the magneto and let air dry.
3. Run hair dryer all over the bike to dry all electricals out.
4. Re-attached magneto cover.

The problem is not the magneto as when I kick the bike over, my headlights/horn work briefly. So it is generating a current.

I will replace my spark plug as it is a dark colour. Hopefully this will work.

Only other thing I can think of is my ignition or regulator/rectifier might be stuffed?

I got my bike wet as well and it didnt start. Check all the wires and terminals are clear of water and try to start it again. If it doesnt start u made need a new magneto or coil.

I got it to start last friday. Pulled some extra mud off it, unwrapped the tape on the ignition coil and re-wraped it. Started!

Thanks.

I got my bike wet, i tried to electric start it and it burnt out all the wires and the cdi :( cost me 130 to get it fixed ! ! /cries

If you've got no spark it must be the coil it only takes a hair line crack (on the coil) for water to get in and its stuffed.

Hey, while your doing all this shit, check that the cable covering covers all of the cable, Mine only covered parts soo water went in and didnt come out. Needed all new shit lol

some electrical tpe will fix it though

:D

Latest posts

Back