Bike won't start. Plan of attack?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

av8

Reaction score
Took my 140XR PitPro out yesterday, huge ride ran beautifully.

Got it home, plastics off CT18, gurney it all clean. Back together, give it a boot. Nothing, nothing. Started twice, ran for like 3 seconds then poof.

I've probably given this motherfucker 300 kicks it just wont start. Fuels on, drained carby, choke on/off, using all difference techniques, holding throttle flat etc.

The that it is, just will not start.

The only place around here that can look at it are tossers, so I'd rather not take it there. I've made sure the on switch is on, pulled the lead connections off and put them back on as there was a bit of surface rust on them, tiny amount.

I swear this bike.. there is always something wrong with it.

The only thing I noticed yesterday was that I was getting massive kick back every time I started it. And today Took the spark plug cover off and its got a DENSO spark plug when pitpro says it comes with NGK and uses CR7HSA type when the DENSO spark plug has a different number. Perhaps the spark plug has shit it self? Not entirely sure what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok for starters. LANGUAGE. mate there are kids on here, and whilst i'm sure your bike has given you sufficient reason to be somewhat frustrated, kick the bike, and tell it you'll C u Next Tuesday... :D

The cause more than likely, is that you got something wet, that isnt meant to be. Grab a can of WD-40 and douse the thing. remove the stator/flywheel cover, and spray whatever you can around and behind the stator and flywheel. It will also pay to spray any wiring, the CDI, coil etc etc... if it has wire coming out of it, spray it with WD-40.
secondly, remove the carby, disassemble, dry, reassemble and refit. Whilst draining will sometimes work, fuel and water are of two different viscosities, and wont mix, thus one will sit on top of the other, and it only takes a few drops to kill a motor dead...
third. pull the plug out, put it in the lead, and kick the motor over with the plug touching the head to see if it's still throwing a spark. If its not sparking, and you have another bike around, try the plug in the other bikes lead... if it still dont spark, time for a new plug. If your bike is sparking, then you have fuel+water issues. No spark, you have wet electrical issues, and given it died after you washed it, that's probably where your drama is. good luck!

It was the spark plug. Piece of crap bought a good KNG one. Stopped the massive kickback/detonation and everything.

denso make pretty good plugs, IF it's geniune. maybe bad fuel causing knock, stuffing your plug?

Sorry haha. It doesn't help when your room mate has the exact same bike and his never seems to fault and he's staring out the window laughing at me kicking it over and over again.

I can see this bike wasting alot of coin, just like my RC cars.

ah well, lesson learnt... if bike wont start, check fuel, spark and compression. 1st rule of dud internal combustion engines. :)

had heavy missing in first and second gears when bike warm so I checked my plug, had a "denso" in there as well. plugged seemed fine so I put it back in, when I put it in gave it a bit of a nip "oh bugger" I thought I stripped the head, took plug out and the threads cracked off, closer inspection reveals threads made of crappy metal, FAKE DENSO. Took another real denso out compared it and yes they're very different, this fake denso doesn't even say japan on it, heres me playing with the carb for ages too. I didn't bother with changing the plug because it said denso on it and I trusted that brand.
Lesson learnt.

Latest posts

Back