Black Duck Valley Closed!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats right it is a shame to see a legal riden place to go. there arnt many around and there should be way more and if there were the cops would have a smaller prob wit illegal dirtbike riden. i never herd about the deaths at bdv but that is pretty bad.

i just found this and mabey the courts had something to do with it being closed down?

A POPULAR four-wheel-drive park where three people have been killed and 285 injured in three years will remain open despite the State Coroner finding it was "unreasonably dangerous".

Coroner Michael Barnes found activities at the Black Duck Valley park for four-wheel-drives and motorbikes, near Gatton, west of Brisbane, should be compared with other banned or heavily regulated high-risk sports, such as cage-fighting, duelling, base-jumping and boxing.
"These deaths were preventable and that the continued operation of Black Duck Valley in the manner in which it has been operating poses a danger to public health and safety and creates a risk of further deaths occurring in similar circumstances," Mr Barnes said.

"Alarmingly, Black Duck Valley does not engage in any effective risk management. The only risk the operators seem to have serious regard to is the risk of their being sued by requiring (users) to sign a waiver purporting to release the operators from all legal liability."

Mr Barnes said the deaths Ricky Blinco, 23, who was killed when his four-wheel-drive went over a cliff on an "unpassable" track and the 2005 deaths of Steven Binns, 28, who passed away while riding a quad bike and Michael Last, 34, who was killed in a motorbike accident were "not unforeseeable."

After the findings were delivered, Glenn Blinco, father of Ricky, said the park was a "death trap" and should be shut down until the problems were fixed.

"These are supposed to be places of fun, other parks are safe and if this place was the same Ricky would still be here," he said.

However, park manager (track maintenance and safety) Andrew Diete was unapologetic and said they took 'no responsibility' for the incidents."

However Mr Diete, who told the inquest the philospohical view of management was that riders used the park at their own risk, that the family-run business would "do all we can to remain part of the industry" despite believing that the injury rate was "acceptable".

Mr Barnes revealed the Toowoomba Hospital staff became so concerned about the frequency and seriousness of the trauma cases from the park that they started to collect statistics and found that between June 2005 and April this year 285 patients had required treatment and some injuries were life-threatening.

The Gatton ambulance station also rosters on extra weekend staff to "meet the demand" from the park, eight people required hospital treatment last weekend.

In 2005, the Gatton Shire Council advised the Division of Workplace Health and Safety to express its apprehension about the safety of the parks users' but "the division has not investigated any of the numerous injury accidents that have occurred at the park".

Mr Barnes found the park management did not check the riders competency and skill before allowing entry, had incorrect signage on dangerous tracks, the maintenance program was ad-hoc and did not provide sufficient instructions for riders to determine the risk factors involved.

He recommended that high-risk outdoor recreation facilities be included in the Intergrated Planning Act and the State Government order the businesses have continuing membership of industry bodies to gain accreditation and ensure public safety standards were met.

He recommended the DWHS review its determination that on-site injuries at Black Duck were "beyond its investigative jurisdiction" and that "as a matter of urgency" they undertake a full risk audit.

couldnt they just get insurance from a company that insures one of the other bike parks???

I laugh at those figgures, 300 in 3 years
now lets work out the math remember we all know and understand that you WILL get hurt on bikes at some point, be it from you MATE bein a wanker or you beeing a tool, or a shit happens thing.

Lets just say that there are 100 bikes per any given saturday or sunday, thru the week say 50 m-f my math sucks but that's 250 per week. And lets face it there has been times when i'm out there and i'd say there was more like 500 bikes in a day!

Now back to math - 250 x 52weeks in a year = 13000 x 3yrs = 39,000 riders!

now we are looking at 300 hurt so my math put it at 1% of people hurt - not too bad. Now those figgures are based on well lets face it my guess but even if i'm kinda close i'd say that you have more chance of keeping your mother-in-law happy than getting hurt out at blackduck!

News papers suck for only looking at the bad. I wonder how may peoples lives have been saved by not fu*kin around on the streets.

My two cents

yer lol , if they opened there eyes they would see how wrong this is , and how much problems its gonna cause!! everything is closing!! been like 3 mx tracks in queensland and talk about more! its getting radiculous ,

why do they look down on motorcycles ???

yer i used to ride scooter and bike at my local skate park and i had many injureys like my broken elbo and ancle and many scars from skin off, any ways i wasnt hurt much compared to other riders and shiz so i think that a sskate park is just as bad as a mx track and the gov pay for 1 in nealy every town but there like no legal mx tracks near the goldcoast:(

i reckon we all get a partition up and put it to the insurance companies or the goverment .Where i live cops are always patrolling my area they reckon ride at legel place's where the f#*k am i supposed to ride now f#*k that sucks

Last edited:
stay tuned to FMXaustralia.com theres alot of keen people on there that want to get Black duck back up and running! and they have petitions and stuff hopefully happening soon , so stay tuned! and support.

Latest posts

Back