Bought a Lifan 1P52FMI- got a Lifan? 1P54FMI

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTWORKS

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First time purchaser of a "crate motor" for these motorcycles and I have a few questions...

Firtsly let me explain a little background...

I have an old 1965 Honda S90 in dire need of resurrection
image001.jpg

I was initially going to restore it to look like this
1965_honda_s90_1.jpg

But now I'm going the GP Racer look
200803100957590img_484979_29676519_.jpg

honda_cr_110.jpg

Anyway.....

As the title suggests, I bought a Lifan 1P52FMI from DHZ last week and received via Auspost yesterday a Lifan 1P54FMI
S90018b.jpg

S90017.jpg

S90019.jpg

I've had a good search/read through the forums and it seems that this sometimes happens with Ken (and other suppliers)
I did specify via email that I wanted the advertised 1P52FMI

But after several phone calls, he assures me this motor is a good thing
(change your website/ebay listing Details Ken if you don't want people ringing you saying WTF have you sent me?)

I got the correct Lifan Certificate ? I hope...
S90016b.jpg

It has the 4-up shift pattern
Enginedetails.jpg

I am as yet undecided if I will return the 1P54FMI

I did spot a lot of Cactus Jack's comments on the 1P54 throughout the tech forums

The non start in gear 1P54FMI's are known to be super reliable though ... and a ARE a good motor none the less ... They don't seem to suffer from kick starter gear or case breakages from kick back like the start in gear motors do ...

The 1P54FMI's with the clutch on the crank (lever up front /non start in gear) have a 54 mm bore x 54 mm stroke (123.67 cc) and they have a 20 mm output spline ...

Lifan 1P52FMI's have a 52.4 mm bore x 55.5 mm stroke (119.69 cc) , are start in gear with the clutch on the transmission main shaft (lever on top at the rear/start in gear) , and have a 17 mm output spline ...

The funny thing is that Lifan doesn't show a 1P54FMI engine on their website ? ... But if you got an LF1P54FMI engine with Lifan cast on the cases and it came supplied in a Lifan carton with a Lifan quality inspection certificate ... then it's possible it could be a genuine Lifan ... One way to be sure would be to send pics of the box and the engine to Lifan and ask them to verify if the engine is genuine or not ...

In the case of the Lifan "125" 1P52FMI that I got ... it WAS a genuine Lifan engine so I ended up keeping it because it had the "new at the time" more reliable all 4UP shift pattern and a relo was hassling me for the "Lifan" 120 Monster engine because they had chromed "MOJO" clutch and flywheel covers on them stock ... and he wanted it hook or crook ...

My concerns are as follows:

Firstly
I've read people dicussing the pro's and con's of the crank mounted clutch and the other supposedly better version now available..

what does my motor have?

and

is it just due to the racing nature of the pit bikes and the possibilty of hitting Neutral instead of 2nd that people don't like the 1-N-2-3-4 shift pattern???

seeing as my bike is a road bike... I'm inclined to use the original style shift pattern
^as above^

But if what I have received is perceived amongst most "in the know" to be acceptable then I'm happy to stay with it :)

Secondly
Am I going to have trouble with the Pitch on the chain?

I'm not sure yet what the S90 uses i.e. #420 or #428 (still looking)
What pitch does the 1P54FMI come with

the 1P52FMI I ordered has the #420 pitch
DHZ MINI MOTO - Lifan 125cc Engine

I have had a good search over the last 24hrs or so... to find out these things
And I found a lot of info... sometimes too much info LOL
hence i ended up at this forum and thought I'd just ask

Cheers, Sean

Last edited:
Ok firstly Welcome

Now your stated lifan 1p54fmi v your ordered 1p52fmi

both are lifan and are of a good quality > MIC< tho :)

now i have just installed a 1p52fmi motor today in a jz monkeybike ,now i have a 1p54fmi in my monkeybike

the only difference i can see between the 2 motors are the bore cases mine is black and cast steal

my mates is alloy and more fins ,
both are of the crank clutch arms > meaning clutch arm is in the front of the case on the right

now chain wise yes the 1p52fmi is a 420 pitch chain sprocket with a 16 tooth front sprocket stock with a 17 mm spline i think as i didnt measure his spline

now my 1p54fmi comes with a 428 pitch chain with a16 tooth and a 20mm spline ,all good if you want to run a 428 pitch chain >> i didnt so a bit of muck around for me

all in all both motors are equal from what i can see ,,,,,,Sept the above points

hope this was of some help

oh and also your bore is larger than the 1p52fmi ,123.??cc yours and i think 120cc is the 1p52fmi
the motor

yeah what snitchy said

with your chain the only difference between the 2 is roller width so sprocket thickness
i'm not sure of the dimensions i'll have a look in the bsc manual later tonight and let ya know

Thanks guys

If anyone else cares to share their experiences with the 1P54FMI, please do so...

A quick search of ebay using "Honda S90 chain" revealed this

#420 pitch chain/sprockets
H2143b.jpg

Seeing as mine is apparently a #428 sprocket... Can you get a #420 front sprocket for the 1P54 ?

regarding the chain, is it possible to change both front and rear sprockets accordingly and get them matched to whatever pitch you want!?? 420 428 etc? or uh uh it dont work like that?!?

Thats the bees knees of old hondas! hehe I think one of them OHC super dooper bad arse lookin engines would go well in that! :D Keep us updated with this mate! You got my attention! :D

edit: HUGE PROPS on including so much info when asing your question to! If only other members took the same approach as you. Oh how good it would be!

Last edited:
regarding the chain, is it possible to change both front and rear sprockets accordingly and get them matched to whatever pitch you want!?? 420 428 etc? or uh uh it dont work like that?!?
!
yes fools it can be done easy as but the problem i ran into was i couldnt get a rear sprocket in a small tooth the smallest i could find was 35 in a 420 pitch ,hence my delema i run 29 rear and 16 front ,am going to go a 15 front tho and try that out

yes you can there hard to come by tho and dhz wont have 1 in a 20mm spline

heres a link to where you can them and where i got mine ,only bout a week deliv

20mm spline for lifan 1p54fmi

SnItChY, you are a legend !

I was actually looking through the Beatrice Cycle's website just now at all their S90 parts

Are the 20mm spline front sprockets easy to come by ?

I would like to go down to the factory 14tooth front if you can get one for the 20mm driveshaft spline
The rear was 45 tooth from the factory... but I'll look for a #428 pitch rear sprocket from a CT110 postie bike or something
with more HP & torque from the 125cc motor I might be able to loose a tooth or three on the rear

who would have thought a motor replacement would take up so much time researching parts compatibility :eek:

Last edited:
regards compatibility,i just keep wondering whether the engine shall even bolt straight in....
you havent mentioned that youve actually installed it yet...

just cus its a 90...is it based on a ct90/110 engine mount or a ct50/70 etc? cus if its like the 90/110 the engine wont fit....

but damn sweet:D the style of frame you could stuff something silly into:) unlike the posties...

Last edited:
in fact, looking at the pics...the bike has its top mounting hole above the crankshaft...

and the 1p54 has it a lot further back..... uh oh:(

well spotted

I was originally going to enlargen the original motor
SEE HERE
@ $500+ for parts then add machining the Lifan engine was just so much easier

first thing i noticed when looking for a new motor
lifan has 2 mounts... S90 motor has 3 mounts

rear mount fits spot on,
I'm making an adaptor plate for two S90 holes to one Lifan 1P54 hole

Already sussed that solution out ;)

Last edited:
Are the 20mm spline front sprockets in #428 pitch easy to come by ?

Standard gearing on the S90's was 14 front and 45 rear

I would like to go down to 14teeth on the front... if you can get one for the 20mm driveshaft spline in #428 pitch ?
(we already know that you can get it in #420 thanks to SnItChY

I'll look for a #428 pitch rear sprocket from another honda small bore... maybe a CT110 postie bike or something

With slightly more HP & torque from the 125cc motor I might be able to loose a tooth or five on the rear, I was personally thinking 40teeth.
Any recommendations are welcome?

Being able to plod along comfortably with traffic is essential for this bike

Last edited:
17/37 gearing on a lifan 140 running 12'' rear wheel and IRK (only mentioned the IRK as it gives me 9400rpm redline) is good for approx 120kph....
Finding #428 pitch front sprocket with a 20mm spline should be relatively easy, i'm running one on my Lifan 140.

I have a 125 ducar in another mini, with a top speed somewhere in the vacinity of 95kph... assuming the 125 lifans and ducars run similar internal gearing, i'll have a bit of a count and see what gearing it's running on the sprockets, and post em back in here.

s90 parts

GTWorks,

I'm restoring two old hondas one a CD and one an s90. I'm missing engine parts from the s90 and wondered that if your changing motors you may wish to sell the current s90 motor or prats?

Pleaselet me know? I actually picked up a chineses motror in the hope that parts could swap, but they don't. You could have this motor if you wish.

Regards Neil (Sydney)

GTworks anyone know this member?

I'm trying to track down member GTworks regarding the s90 they have. Does anyone know this member or have an email address?

Thanks

Kneewall if you send GTworks a private message the notification system will alert him via email..

s90 Motor

Ok thanks for letting me know. Would have hated it if you just junked it. I'm comnverting my two, less one motor to look like these. Can't add a url so please seach on Ted's Special Motorcycle Works (in Japan) and go to the "Works" page, then to the look at the CS90 MX! I'm doing one in white and one in black.

Now to find another engine!

Regards Neil

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back