Boysen Reeds

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RYNNO

Reaction score
g'dayy fellow miniriders!!
i was just talkin 2 me uncle and he was saying back in 83 he got a 82 yz80.
anywaiis, he was asking me if my mso 140s had boysen reeds inserted into the carby.
apparently back in 83 every1 has utting theese into their carbys for more performance and power, my question is... what the hell are theese things???, lol
does any1 know anythin about theese?
what they are?
how do they work?
if the lifan motors have any??
cheers,
Ryan!

as far as i know only 2 strokes have reeds because 4 strokes have valves
the reason for a reed is primarily to stop fuel coming back through the intake on the opposite stroke
but 4 strokes have valves to do this

all i know is it's somthing that 2 smokes have in the carby
so the dhz 140 carby wont have em
as for what they do you would have to ask the smoker guru

i just explained what they do
they dont actually go in the carby they go in between the carby and the intake of ur engine and it acts like a 1 way valve

This is similar to and almost as simple as the piston port but substitutes a reed type check valve in the intake tract for the piston controlled port. Reed valve engines deliver power over a wider RPM range than the piston port types, making them more useful in many applications, such as dirt bikes, ATVs, and marine outboard engines. Reed valved engines do not lose fresh fuel charge out of the crankcase like piston port engines do.

In common with many two-strokes, reed valve engines can rotate in either direction. This has been used to back up microcars such as the Messerschmitt KR200 that lacked reverse gearing, and it allows flexibility to pull or push model airplanes with either sense pitch propellers.

Many early two-stroke engines, particularly small marine types, employed a poppet type check valve for the same purpose, but the inertia of the valve made it suitable for low speed use only.

cool i know absolutly zip about the 2smoke engine apart from all you need is air and fuel to to make em go so thanks for the info
i figured the reeds had somthing to do with fuel intake
aaaah give me a 4 banger any day lol

thanks again

A one-way valve used in a two-cycle engine. It is made of a flat strip of metal that lies on the floor of the crankcase over a hole connected to the carburetor. As the piston moves up, the vacuum developed in the crankcase lifts the reed valve off the hole. The vacuum causes the fuel-air mixture to flow from the carburetor into the crankcase. Then, as the piston starts to move down, pressure increases in the crankcase pushing the reed valve down, closing the hole and sealing the crankcase.
Wafer-thin metal plate located in the valve plate of an automotive compressor which act as suction and discharge valves. The suction valve is located on the underside of the valve plate; the discharge valve is situated on the top.

A one-way valve used in a two-cycle engine. It is made of a flat strip of metal that lies on the floor of the crankcase over a hole connected to the carburetor.QUOTE]

I dunno what website you copied this from, but its a bit out-dated, modern 2-strokes ( the ones still in production) have reeds made from high-tech composit materials, such as carbonfibre, they have to be solid and flexible since they open and close every time a 2 stroke draws its breath, in an small-bore high-power 2 stroke, thats about 10-12000 a minute, a good aftermarket reed will increase throttle response, make better power over the entire powerband, and allow for more over-rev and even cleaner jetting.

Latest posts

Back