Brakes

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fusedminis

Reaction score
I'm currently building a bike from scratch and having fun trying to pick all the parts based on fit and performance.

I have hit a bit of a wall when it comes to brakes. I am looking for the best brakes for dirt riding, ones that will be robust and still have plenty of stopping power. I will be running a 210mm Front disc.

Whats everyone's experience with the different brakes on the market, I am currently looking at these two as I need 51mm spacing to fit onto some GPX forks.

Front Big Piston Brake Kit - DHZ Mini Moto

PitsterPro HD Race Front Brake Kit - DHZ Mini Moto

I am also thinking about getting some RM85 Tokico Front brakes but they are mega hard to source over here, but seems to be the best option if one can get a set.

So my question is, what would you be putting on your bike if you had the option of anything? Remember the bike is going to be riden in the dirt and I want maximum stopping power.

Maybe this will be helpful to anyone else thinking of upgrading their brakes?

Real stoping power....

Go here Big 50 Race and Retro Parts parts for these!!

1270721487.jpg

Or from OOracing in the UK
OORacing - performance monkey bike, pit bike, madass, zoomer, dirt bike components - Grimeca Racing brake kit 220mm brake disc (Powered by CubeCart)
GRE_brake_kit.JPG

Andy at Big50 has full floating front disks. Coupled with that I'd be going for pitster hd brakes or the china copy of the nissin twin piston.
This setup alone will stop a Motard with two fingers and still lift the rear from about 90km/h.
But then you could go stupid and get an R1 master cylinder and source a second left fork and run twin calipers.

I made sure that I stated quite clearly, this will be for a dirt application, thanks for the reply but could you please keep it dirt.

you will kill those disks riding dirt

the single or twin piston china calipers are fine for dirt as long as you've got the right sized disk

hell if i brake 2 hard on mine they lock up and lowside

now abs that could be differant

yeah if he has too much braking power his brakes will just lock up when ever he trys to use them.
but sorry mate i cant really help and more as im currently doing the same with my step dads mso witch came with aluminum frame and shit but the brakes didn't fit (also with be up for sale soon.)

So nobody has actually presented how these brakes compare to other brakes. Thats what Im really after, the best chinese brakes out there for dirt on gpx forks. I would think the dual pistons would be better, and I really want to try and get the tokico rm85 brakes but at this stage cant justify the money.

What makes a brake system better??? Surely it would tighter tolerances (aka Japan), is it also related to the master cylinder size, number of pots and any other factors???

Used to have the single big piston, found it was plenty on the dirt to lock up and pull you up no sweat, I them changed to the twin as I was starting to do more motard riding and the single just wasn't enough,I found it was touchy at low speeds with not alot of feel, but absolutly magic when braking from high speed, say 60km/h +, it worked well,held a stable feel and pressure without fade but you do have to take a bit more care as to not just grab a massive handfull as it will lock up with ease.
Personally, I would be be going the pitser pro hd set, as it will be more than adequate braking power on dirt, it will jsut take a bit of getting used to if have been using something less powerful.
As for the 85 brakes, I haven't used them, but I can't imagine they would be provide any better performance, other than a longer life, when you get the brakes, replace the pads with decent ones and decent fluid, you will be amazed at what they can do.
I read somewhere, the key to good brakes is to "Bleed and Feed"

I've also had issues with finding brakes that work well with a nice feel for a mini. Anyone had much experience with the Brembo copies? What rear brake are you running fusedminis?

i think pete is running ither genuine brembos or the copies? not sure but im sure hel let you know what they are like.

i think hes got the real ones cant remember tho:/

Havent even gotten to the rear brakes yet, Im looking for an over the top brake pedal to suit a perimeter frame and the c/c spacing of the master cylinder is 40mm.

The reason for getting the front sorted first is they are more important, all the back has to do is lock up which is heaps easier thanks to Newton's laws

I've also had issues with finding brakes that work well with a nice feel for a mini. Anyone had much experience with the Brembo copies? What rear brake are you running fusedminis?

yeah i have run twins on my motard with 180mm disc's.
they are a cheap brake and did die on me. the pistons inside the calliper are black anodized. the anodizing comes off and binds everything up. the new ones are revised alittle bit. if you put stainless steel cups in there they'd be fine.

but i used barnesd nissan copies and they were sick as.

The Pitster one looks like the one on the lxr , and they are pretty awesome .. haven't touched them from day 1 and they will pull you up with 1 finger easily .

I added a sunline pivot lever from 08 kx250f and it changed the hole feel of them , made them come on alot quicker and more suddenly.

But yer i couldn't ask for anything better for dirt

I've also found the stock front brakes on the Revmx to be pretty brutal on the dirt, twin piston set up... single finger operation, and will stand up on the front wheel on dirt with little effort....
They offer very good feel at the lever, nice and progressive in their application.... i'd say they'd be similar to the DHZ twin pot set-up, and run a 210mm rotor....

The Pitster one looks like the one on the lxr , and they are pretty awesome .. haven't touched them from day 1 and they will pull you up with 1 finger easily .

I added a sunline pivot lever from 08 kx250f and it changed the hole feel of them , made them come on alot quicker and more suddenly.

But yer i couldn't ask for anything better for dirt

yes they are good till you drop your bike and you break something and they slowly leak

and as woggy has stated a different lever changes the feel all together

Latest posts

Back