breather kit

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r1_rider

Reaction score
yesterday i added a breather kit to my 4 stroke bike for some extra performance. but, unlike the normal breather kits for small 4 stroke motors, i only used a vent filter. the rubber manifold fitted right into the valve hole, but there is some movement in it and i am getting worried it may come out while i'm riding. can anyone suggest anything?

cheers

Got a pic?

My main concern would be dirt getting in if you haven't got a good fit....

Not that I would realy know but I think head breathers are a bit of a gimmick, I would have thought the gallery the cam chain runs in would be enough of a vent down to the crankcase then out the crankcase breather....

i doubt much dirt would get into it as it is a road bike but still i want to make sure nothing gets in or out (except for pressure, lol).

i will try and post a pic tomorrow. as for a gimmick, if most car performance shops around the world have these filter on sale in their shops, i doubt it would be a gimmick.

valve breather is a waste of time.

not sure how your setup works. Is there a rubber bung which screws into the valve cover thread?

Most setups jus tap the cover and run a tube.

pics wud help or just a paint diagram.

There is nothing to be gained fitting one of these. The only benifit would be as a backup if your original crank breather hose became blocked.

well it cost me $7.50 so even if it is a waste of time, at least i didnt waste money like some other people i know. as for pics, i am uploading them as we speak...

i did do a test years back regarding the cylinder breather pipe on a 4 stroke, we fitted a pressure guage to the cam plug and found reasonable pressure at rpms, have no clue on what the pressure was now. but really the fitting of a filtered breather pipe does assist in releiving all un needed top end pressure build.

the images didnt upload properly, they were too big. (i'll try again later on tonight). so here's a rough drawing of mine of the vent filter:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b244/r1_rider/ventfilter.jpg

the vent filter and manifold fit comfortably in there but there is still a tiny bit of movement in it and that is what i'm worried about.

for those of you who dont know, a vent filter looks like this:
020_0892.jpg

hmm.. that pic turned out sh*t too :confused: ok save it and then enlarge it using photoviewer...

pressure in the head does F.A to performance. I recon the pressure may even assist pushing oil back from the head to the sump...

The only gain i could see is running slightly cooler, but thats not going to be significant at all..

well i still have the original valve cap. so i can very easily take out the filter and put the original valve cap back on if that is what everyone thinks is best.

My concerns with it mounted straight on the head would be oil splashing up into the filter which would render it useless pretty quick, and the damage it may recieve from crap comming up off your front wheel...

personally i wouldnt have bothered.

If i was going to i would just tap the cover and run a tube upto the frame and rear of bike possibly with a little filter on the end... but i wouldnt bother.

well i can also take it back to the shop and refund it... its funny though that nearly every performance auto shop in the world has them for sale but you guys dont seem to think that they would work???

Ahhh sorry, I missed the post where you mentioned it was a road bike... it should be right as long as it's secure and not too much oil makes it way up in there.... You have nothing to lose (other than the cost of the filter)

yea ok. i was originally gonna drill a hole in the valve cap then install a brass nozzle and get a braided hose and run it up the back of the bike and then put the filter on the end... but a guy at supercheap auto said the brass nozzle might come out coz of the engine vibrations and pressure... so i decided to just put a filter on there :D fingers crossed that it works lol

wudnt hav come out if you welded it in there or used a thread locker... ps, supercheap auto is not exactly the place i would go for advice... hence the name; supercheap.

Latest posts

Back