Broadford Ride Day

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnesd09

Reaction score
On Saturday MV invited all volunteer officials out to Broadford for a 'Come n Try' day. You could bring any bike you wished and ride it any of the complex's tracks for the whole day free of charge. There was an assortment of bikes, R1's, GSXR 600's, 250 2t twin GP's, 1920 Indian, RG500, Moriwaki 80 and everything in between.

Being officials Grnman and myself went along for a ride, grnman on his new toy (cbr 600 supersport) and I took my trusty ol' Motovert. I had to change the gearing so it wouldn't rev out in 5 seconds, so I managed to fit an 18 front and 34 rear sprocket, which on paper when valve bouncing in 4th should get me to 155km/h. After a couple of session I decided to actually test to see how fast I was going. With a quick app store search and download of a free iPhone app for gps speed, I taped my iPhone to bike and set off... the GPS said 90.5mp/h max speed, so translated into metric it is 145km/h, but no matter how much I ducked down and tucked in, it just wouldn't rev out. But there is definitely room for improvement with a few custom sprockets, weight saving and plastic mods to get a few more km/h out of it. But the best fun was overtaking guys on R1's around the outside of the corner and then seeing them get annoyed that they go over taken by a litle bike and force them into making a mistake. But everyone was very suprised at the speed, but mostly the cornering ability of the mini.

I was also lucky enough for Grnman to give me a ride on his 600, and being my first time on a big bike on a big track it was a little dawnting, but daaaaamn, that thing is so quick and with so much grip its amazing what you can do with the bike. I managed to rev it out in a few gears and I'm assuming break 200km/h for my first time ever, I still haven't wiped the smile off my face, I just want to leave work and go for a ride NOW! Thanks Grnman! I think you have converted me to the dark side of road racing (Bike bikes) I just have to hide it from Mum and the girlfriend.

A YouTube clip of the 600

Last edited:
what a fantastic day we had. sun shining, tyre warmers warming, jap and chinese bikes singing and home in one piece. i never forget you going around the outside of me down into pit corner on the mini. What a sight that must have been from pit wall.

well there is no doubt about it the kid can ride. it was amazing seeing the pace you had in just 10mins on your first ever ride on a big bike.

Barnsed, GET A TRACK BIKE!

Great work Barnes!!!

I'd love to give the big track another crack, but the 85 is out of gearing (15/42) and I think our track over here would be a little too much for it!!

It's always good fun beating guys with more power with more corner speed!!!

nice speed out of the mini . should be able to get a damaged bike cheap 2-4k from auctions .
phillip island 8 hr would be fun .

Mini's are fun but i have to admit there is also something about doing more than 200kph that is also fun.

once you've had a taste , you will really appreciate how fast the A graders are !!!

20111203_122358.jpg

BroadyDave.jpg

very nice ! a bit of fork seal weepage? so who was faster ?

Man that is one of the nicest Honda's I have seen in a while.

Its actually a plastic tie, the forks were done 6 months ago so there is no problem there.

the bike may look good but its the parts underneath that make it a killer. just some of the big specs are $8,000 worth of Showa suspension, full Titanium Jardine system, HRC Loom, HRC ECU, HRC Cams, HRC springs, HRC lightened subframe, ported, head shaved, supersport spec sincromesh gearbox, plus all the little bits like rearsets and things.

IMG_0241.jpg
IMG_0244.jpg

Latest posts

Back