Broke a Tooth

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingers

Reaction score
He there guys was out riding the moto on the weekend and i stoped the bike for a little bit then started it up again and clicked it into gear and moved a couple of meters then started to hear a knocking sort of noise coming from the engine, clicked it into second and the noise stayed there. This noise only is there when it's in gear when in netrual there is no noise and sounds fine. I stoped riding it after the nosie started

Took the clutch cover off when i got and noticed the big gear behind the clutch had a tooth missing.

P3122502.jpg

P3122506.jpg

P3122507.jpg

Is this going to be a problem and should i replace it before starting it up again? How hard is it going to be to take the clutch of so i can get to it? My dad used to be a mechanic and i have limited knowledge of these engines. We have quiet a few tools in the shed to, but is there any specific tool that will be needed that is used only for bikes? And would this be the reason for the knocking? or is there still going to be something else wrong?

Cheers

Don't ride that, or you'll ruin your engine permanently. The clutch nut needs a special tool, or if you're feeling rough you can get it off with a hammer and screwdriver. Pay very careful attention when disassembling the clutch as it is kinda complicated and there is a washer with 3 tabs which has to go back correctly or it wont work. Also check your oil pump drive gear. I have an engine here which stripped 1/2 the teeth of the primary and a whole lot of them went through the oil pump drive and trashed it.

+1 get those bits out 1st, then replace parts. The last thing you want is hardened metal going through the gearbox etc.

yeah, goin out sat so im hopin to have a crack at it on sun, been lookin on youtube and i think i can manage, Is that gear apart of the clutch basket or is it just a gear? and would this have been what is causeing the knocking?

Yes definitely the source of the knocking... lucky it hasn't been the source of you motor's death really.

shit yeah:eek: im amazed you didnt kill it too... just one tooth is one stuffed gear... gears only ever have one tooth in contact at a time...taking all that load...

seems how i have this thread already started just wondering if anyone knows what the cost of a new set of rings would be for the lifan 140? thinking i need to replace mine as the oil is coming out very black after only a few hours and i can hear air leaking through the cylinder when the engine is turned over slowly with the clutch cover off, Is that normal?

thanks fellas

yea thats normal to get blow by when turned over slowley
what oil do you use ?
they dont hold much oil so the oil life is short
rings should be about $20-$40 depends where you go
also need a gasket set for the top end $15
and if you want to do it right most places will charge $10-15 to run a ball hone in the cylinder

sweet thanks for that, just using castrol 4t moto oil

ummm tried to get the cam gear back on and the chain was to tight so i undone the cam chain tensioner and the i undone it a bit to much and the spring and a little rod thingy cam out, does it matter which way the rod goes back in, i know it needs to go in the right way round but it has holes in it so do thoses holes need to line up with something? Thats what i mean which way,

normaly the rod has a little rubber or plastic bit on the end of it the rubber/plastic bit goes in first

ok cool, thanks for that

ok well i got my clutch basket off this arvo, by the looks of it i need to buy a new basket or can i take the gear off of it? it looks like it was pressed on but it dont really look like it was designed to come off. And also been thinking about this a bit, doesn't the outer basket spin all the time? if so why would the knock only appear when it is engaged in gear and not neutral? is it cause of the resistance with the gears makes it more noticible or it jumps a tooth becasue it is harder to spin?

Sorry for all the q's just tryin to figure how everything works and stuff

ask flarry he has a mass part out atm. and he got a 140 lifan in bits. not sure if he still got it but just ask to buy the clutch of him.

Latest posts

Back