Broken Coil, Mystery Carb

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dropped into town today and thought I'd take the coil and get it tested at the shop on my way past - they said it was fine right out to 11mm gap so no problems there. He said it is probably designed for CD ignition and wouldn't think it would work on points/condenser. Interesting I get such a small reading on that terminal though..

I showed him my old coil after that and he said you can sometimes drill out the old lead and get away with placing a new one in - then took it off me and did it. Got it all cleared out and there is a nice bare probe in there, he said to just press a new ignition lead over it and fill the hole with epoxy/resin. I'll take the lead off this coil I've got here now (which is a self tapper) and press it into the old coil and that should fix it...
Incase anyone ever comes up against the same problem...

So I tested that ignition lead before I fitted it to the old coil and found no continuity between the lead and spark plug cap, is this normal on some caps? Are they designed to spark inside or something? I removed it from the lead and tested the cap by itself and the circuit was open between the tapping screw and the spark plug fitting... So I deemed it unserviceable and crushed it in a vice - letting my curiosity get the better of me haha. Then wondered if it's supposed to be like that....?

Latest posts

Back