BSE 160 Motard Conversion

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dozer

Reaction score
G'Day

Thought i would start a dedicated thread for the conversion of my pitty to the relm of smooth tires.

Any help or information along the way will be muchly appreciated!

The aim is to get the bike ready to ride and use on the Brisbane Archerfield track within the next three weeks.

Modifications i will be doing.

1.Stiffen up all suspenion
2.Replace the chunky's for some smooth tires with Billet rims "any links or suggestions would be good "or if you have a set your looking to sell;)"
3.Replace handle bars with pro tapper high rises
4.Replace the throttle and grips
5.Replace the crappy kick starter and rear brake lever
6.Get a OKO 26mm carby to stop the random slattering of the cheap mikini
7.upgrade spark plug to NGK
8.Racing CDI to increase rev range "maybe"
9.Uni filter for carby
10. Some fancy bling bits/ maybe new graphics or plastics.
11. Enduro style front end with lights and maybe some led lighting "have access to some realy fancy crap.
12. Catch cans

Decided i will get another BSE 160 due to it being such a good bike for dirt work and will convert this one to pure motard goodness:D

The only thing i think is a let down is that i cant get motard tires in atleast a 14/14 config as i am thinking a 12/12 combo will look all kinds of funny on a midsized bike, think i have seen a 14 rear around somewhere so a 14/12 might be the go?

Also toying with the idea of getting the 14 rear slick and shaving a soft compound 17 or 14 front? i have seen this done before with tires used on the salt flats over in the states. You end up pretty much with slicks.

Has anyone seen/heard of someone doing this before on bit bike motards?

This is how she sits at the moment.
b05603c3.jpg

ac2b4143.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome...another tarder!!

Great start to your build thread mate.

As for the round things..im sure most will agree to stick with 12/12 and it def WONT look funny..

cheaper Billets are avail from DHZ in 2 dif styles..Mobster kinda ripoffs (like mine) and a silver flat four spoke for around $299 a pair

Ken also has Innovas for $65ea, but he told me the other day he will be getting CST's in soon (yay)

Axle sliders from DHZ for $45 a set

Catch cans are a bit hard..ive made a few..not real happy with any, and still going..lol but not sure where you can get decent ones..Braap sell cheap shitty plastic ones..not my cuppa tea though.

Are you going fat bars or SE's? Fatties will need clamp adapters.. $45 from DHZ

id stay away from the CDI...save your $$

Def get a NGK..Iriduim if you can spare $22

wouldnt worry about lighting? not sure if your electrics supports lighting? do you know if it has an ORK?
If not, look into one..

Rear brakes are over rated..lol

mm thats about all i can think of atm..lol

Great work!

Wayne

Last edited:
thanks for the advice mini, some good info in there.

Ill be looking at the rims similar to the ones you have "i like the black look heaps".

Good to know about the bar modification so ill look into that.

Whats the go with the racing CDI? i would of assumed that an increase in the rev range with a higher power curve and sprockets to suit would have her rocketing?

As for the catch can i am chasing down some hobby stores, you can get red/gold ect anodized catch can's for the larger petrol RC cars and i was thinking of adapting them for use if i can get them big enough. Should look the biz too.

If i find its a no go ill just make up some nice aluminium ones to suit at my local sheet workers "only have a mig".

oh, and have also been told that my bike supports lighting so it was mainly just something different to do to seperate it from the crowd and give it a bit of :eek:

They do night sessions here so it would look pretty trick with some neon lights lighting up the motor and under the bike :)

It is a chineese bike after all so might aswell give it a bit of Ricer attitude lol.

Also thinking of painting the outside motor covers in high temp gloss white paint or chroming them, can you think of any problems i may run into with heat dissapation ect?

Last edited:
Also thinking of painting the outside motor covers in high temp gloss white paint or chroming them, can you think of any problems i may run into with heat dissapation ect?

Maybe look into a dress up kit, new stator cover etc..would look much better than painted.

Yeah I will be doing that too but going for a custom look, will come up good aslong as it is a proper job and not just slapped on.

Mmmm.... Might still get them, lol. They do look good and would give a great note.

Mmmm.... Might still get them, lol. They do look good and would give a great note.

Haha yeah they do look good and have heard they make it a bit louder..

On another note mate, if you do buy a twin system you will also have to change your rear shock or it wont fit (due to your resi)

It can be done with chopping and re welding the exhaust but it could become expensive..

hope this helps..

wayne

mmm, once again you may of saved me some problems. Didnt think of that, maybe i should tink about a nw rear shock with external res?/?

Just in the process of buying a house so maybe i should prioritise the mods for before the move and after lol.

Mrs hates it when i get a new hobby. Last hobby was Remote control RC rock crawlers and i managed to fork out about 25 hungy on a 1/10 scale unit hahahah.

Should have a motard conversion pick for step one tomoz, just arranged to buy some nice spoked black motard rims and tires from a member on here.

Should be picking up tomoz so will no doubt fit them tomoz night when I get home :)

mmm, once again you may of saved me some problems. Didnt think of that, maybe i should tink about a nw rear shock with external resi?

What you have has an external res, what you would need is one with a remote resi such as below (exampe only)

Rear Shock

just an example, you would obv have to find one to suit your bike.

Cant wait to see your pics with your new hoops on :D

What you have has an external res, what you would need is one with a remote resi such as below (exampe only)

Rear Shock

just an example, you would obv have to find one to suit your bike.

Cant wait to see your pics with your new hoops on :D

Thats the one i ment, just worded it wrong :bolt:

Thanks dononator.

The spoked rims im picking up are wrapped in Kenda Innova slicks and both are 120/70-12. Hope this is good

They are cheap enough and will get me to the track ASAP while i source some billet rims ect. That way i can eventually have a set of WET/Dry wheels.

what an effort!

Got the wheels today and came home to install,

Set about installing new bearing's all round first up and then installing some new disks.

Once i did that i attempted to fit to the front first up. Turns out the spaces i had were too long so out came the angle grinder to do some chop chop.

Modified the spacers spot on and then proceeded to install. All was good until i moved onto the rear of the bike and decided to knock it off its stand :duhman:

Damage done, 1 set of handle bars... oh well they should be on my list anyway.

So long story short, she is now sporting slicks front and rear... have ordered some nice bits and pieces and will be picking up on monday... ill leave it a suprise :)

New disks
b37f56d8.jpg

modified spacer
f8596e05.jpg

6cecb1f4.jpg

2b911865.jpg

fd4da0f3.jpg

You were right about the bike not looking too odd with the smaller rims mini but i still think it would be ace if you could run a 14 rear wheel with some thicker slicks.

I know the rims arnt the best but they will do for the first few track days then im upgrading to the billet units and will keep these rims for a set of wet's.

Ill update monday once i get my goodies

Last edited:
here it is with the 14, 12 wheel combo....mmmm sexy
f14208b5.jpg

Looks good man, hope they go alright around the track. What size discs did you chuck on them?

Latest posts

Back