building a mini drag bike using a cheap dirtbike engine

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V8_mate

Reaction score
i'm building a mini drag bike using a pocket bike frame (possibly a midi frame if i can get one) and i'm wondering what motor to use. i've seen heaps of 110, 125 and 138 chinese motors on ebay for under $300 and thought on of these might be a good option.
can anyone recommend me one? i also thought of using a watercooled ktm 50cc.
cheers
chris

thats if u can even fit any of the engines into a pcket bike frame unless u know a welder to weld sum brackets on to hold the engine otherwise there going to be to big

thats if u can even fit any of the engines into a pcket bike frame unless u know a welder to weld sum brackets on to hold the engine otherwise there going to be to big

i know, i may have to get a midi bike frame as they can hold 110s. i do know how to weld and make stuff so modding the frame shouldn't be a problem.

you want power and cost isnt an issue. if this is the case look into the kitaco ultra se 125cc or the takegawa DOHC motors. cost something like 6k but are powerful as hell.

if cost in an issue then look into gpx and lifan. lifan 138cc isnt a 125 bored out which means the 138 can be bored to something close to 160cc

Cheers, Tony.

they're a bit expensive for what i want. i'll most likely get a lifan or ducar or something similar depending on the price.

if you go the ducar make sure its silver 1 cause the blak ones are shit

why's that? what are they like compared to lifans? i've been told the lifan is the best one of the 125cc chinese motors.

havnt had a lifan but iv had a black ducar motor they have smaller ports than the siver motor and a different bore to the silver motor and as far as i can tell the ducar is a good motor havnt had any real problems with my silver ducar motor and we have had a strait line drag with a xr 250 and stayed right with it untill we ran out of gears

good luck with ur project man, good to see sum one doin sumthing like that. Let us knoe how u go :)

the xr 250 only got away when it hit 5th we have been racing the bloke on it around track we have made out the bush and as long as the straits arnt to long he cant beat us he hates it and you will notice the more you ride these bikes the better they go untill the ring gets to warn

the xr 250 only got away when it hit 5th we have been racing the bloke on it around track we have made out the bush and as long as the straits arnt to long he cant beat us he hates it and you will notice the more you ride these bikes the better they go untill the ring gets to warn

in a straight line the xr 250 will eat a pit bike , the only chance the pitty has is if some one is pushing the xr250, sorry to be a smart ass but the xr250 will kill a pitbike unless the track is super tight even then if the xr250 has a good rider on it its all over for the pitty. Dont get me wrong i love my pitty but as for beat a 250 i wish

next time we go ridin with him will see about gettin some foot age

next time we go ridin with him will see about gettin some foot age

it must be stuffed because i go riding with a 2004 xr250 and it eats me and my pitty hauls. Sorry to hijack this thread as for which motor to run i would go with a Lifan 140cc and deck it out ( inner rotor ,lightened oil slinger, big cam, ported, big cab, 57mm or 58mm HCpiston, ect. and you will have a quick 150cc bike)

in a straight line the xr 250 will eat a pit bike , the only chance the pitty has is if some one is pushing the xr250, sorry to be a smart ass but the xr250 will kill a pitbike unless the track is super tight even then if the xr250 has a good rider on it its all over for the pitty. Dont get me wrong i love my pitty but as for beat a 250 i wish

You wanna see a pitbike take on a whole pack of 250's in a race check this video out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qTwG5yCrBY

thats bloody awsome we dont have to go that hard to beat me other mate

thought i should update.
i sold my pocket bike frame and bought a miniature r1 frame which is about double the size of a pocket bike and has front and rear suspension. the build of the frame is also heaps better than the crap pocket bike and it's made of much thicker metal. i've also bought a ducar motor which should be enough for me (performance wise) for the moment. the biggest motor i had before this was 49cc so it should be a bit of a jump :D
i've had an idea of removing the headlights and using the headlight cutouts in the front fairing as air ducts to the carby.
i'm aiming for 100mph when it's finished, not with the stock motor though :p

mate thats sick you should post up some photos so we can see how rad it is.

Latest posts

Back