Building a Trailer

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FOXraceWES

Reaction score
I'm going to be building a trailer in my garage over the winter here in rotten old England. As it's cold, miserable and all the tracks near me are closing for the season I think it's time for me to do something constructive. I'm not what you call a Do It Yourself kind of guy. Haven't built anything really as big as this in my life. I don't have much tools but I'm going to and buying some. Spanners, wrenches, screwdrivers.. you know the basics and probably a drill.

I'm asking for some help, if there is anyone out there that has built one and can maybe give me some measurments and of what I need? I'm looking at building a non-roof box trailer, that can hold two bikes and under the floor I can pull out a metal ramp and drop it down to ride my bike out and in. I don't want it cheap and non-reliable. I need something durable, that can go in all terrain. I will be starting my project not this weekend, but the weekend after. This weekend I will buy my tools. Does anyone know of any other tools that I many need or may come in handy?

Thanks a lot, I will keep you updated on pictures. I need as much help as possible maybe if someone could post up some designs and measurements of previous builds?

Thanks.​

Yeh, that's kinda a problem to me.

I've never used a welder, don't know how and don't even have one.

well its probabbly best to get someone else to build your trailer...

cos from the sounds of things you haven't a clue what your doing...

and the last thing you want is for your bikes to be just casually rolling away on ya while on the way or way back from a ride..

Box trailer 6 x 4 on eBay, also Trailer Transporter Parts, Trailers Transporters, Commercial Vehicles, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 08-Oct-08 13:18:40 BST)

i dunno where your at but look for somethink like this on fleebay ,or cheaper and mod it to what u need but remeber to make it duel purpose ,like mine its a box trailer that i can fit 3 bikes in but i can still use it to cart crap around ,like dirt and stuff

i am a great beliver in let some 1 else do the hard work and then you buy it off them cheap ,win win

btw ,the most important tool for building anythink out of steel is a >>>WELDER ,be it what eva typ ,i have just an ol stick welder but ,it joins metal together ok ,and gets me out of trouble ,mind you i wouldnt go building a trailer with it IMO

i built a moto tralier, it took a little while to do but it also had to do with me not having the time, i built mine from scratc, but you might wanna look at buyin one and moddin it if ya got no idea wat ya doin, i'll post up some pics a bit later on for ya, its not a box trailer its a proper moto trailer though

just read you never used a welder, the whole frame will need to be welded with GOOD welds, so ya might wanna do a bit of practice in before

build it than you will respect it :)

get a welder or hire one.

" you know the basics and probably a drill."

over here in australia we have little welding courses that go for like 2 weeks at like tafe and that so if i was you i would do some research around and see if there is any over there or else you are goin to struggle man

build it than you will respect it :)

get a welder or hire one.

" you know the basics and probably a drill."

Obviously he doesnt know the basics.

Wes your best option would be to buy one and mod it as previously suggested. Building a quality trailer is alot harder than it looks so leave the major part of building such as the whole frame structure to the profesionals. Then if you must do something to it yourself you can mod it to what you want.

What sort of mods?

Not like I can put a FMF Exhaust or Pro Tapers on it. -_-'

:D

he means buy the frame and then you can build up from that, such as put the sliding ramp on it and stuff

but you could lower it and put some 18" rims on it too, lol

ps, i'll get some photos of me trailer up for ya tonight, it cost me $600 to build it too,

Latest posts

Back