building first bike.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GenuineThumpy

Reaction score
so im looking at building my first pitty,
im mean ive built tons of them just out of spare and scrap parts laying around the shed, but now im after building a beast for myself, and after some hints and tips as im not sure whats good, whats quality etc.

im not looking at building anything small based crf50 style with 12/14, more crf70 running 14/17 or if the 12/14 would work on a bigger based frame/swinger and forks,

havent got all the money in the world so will probly be a working progress over the months,

heres what i got so far,

frame:
http://www.dhz.com.au/buy/heavy-duty-chromolly-twin-tube-cradle-frame-crf70/FRM-01.CRF70

Swinga:
http://www.dhz.com.au/buy/hd-pitsterpro-x4r-alloy-swingarm/SW-35

Rear Shock:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DNM-MST-...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a76c93d5a

so, so far will that work out? will that shock be too big and make the swinga go on a mass dogdy angle, and will the swinga fit the frame?

Front end:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FASTACE-...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7374635f

again not 100% if the forks will work with the rest.

for the engine im either looking at
http://www.dhz.com.au/buy/new-2013-...the-quickest-125cc-engine-on-the-market/EN-04
or
http://www.factorypowerhouse.com/Pitster-Pro-GPX-Moto-140x-Crate-Engine-p/ppgpx140crate.htm

i hear those race ready 125cc are kickass, with the 26mm oko and good CDI coil ect.
without getting too far into it atm, not going all the way down to what grips i plan on getting, what you guys think about the setup so far,
question is, will it work, with the right wheels will it sit higher and feel more like a bigger bike than the minis?

question is, will it work, with the right wheels will it sit higher and feel more like a bigger bike than the minis?

Nope, might make you stop hitting you knees in the corners... it wont make you feel better on the bike.. a larger frame will help though

what frame would you recommend? thought the crf70 style frame with the bigger forks would make it sit quite a bit higher than your average smaller mini

what frame would you recommend? thought the crf70 style frame with the bigger forks would make it sit quite a bit higher than your average smaller mini
im not sure if you can buy them but things like the pitster pro lxr and pitpro se have larger frames, well i say larger frames but what i mean is there more comfortable for me to ride so i think its just seat hight to the pegs or something, means i can stand up without having my knees bent witch makes it uncomfortable to ride other bikes along with other things

Yes that's what I am after, that comfortable feeling to stand up, well I thought this was the copy frame they use on the pitsterpro which is why it's crf70 style and not 50, can already tell that it's quite a bigger frame than the others. Like in Brendos build, he used the dhz crf70 style frame and the size of his bike is what I am looking for,

Hey mate,

I recommend buying most of your components second hand, there are some real gems that come up on ebay and gumtree that will really lower the cost.

The first bike that i built was made using all brand new parts from DHZ and it ended up costing an absolute fortune.

Do you have a preference on the style of plastics that you want? As that can help you to choose a frame style

needs agood polish tho I often question how strong this "billet"frames really are ive been looking at them from a distance for some time now thinkin bout getting one but don't want too waste coin if they don't live up to the hype! looks good still mate....:)

ive looked at some brand new, on the atomic site they go for around the 900 to 1000 mark different type of billet frames tho

Well ill see how much he is after n ill be ya guinie pig n let yas know, won't be paying thousands for it thouvh

sweet!! after lookin at that frame the welds look pretty damnn good throw that swinga and dnm shok in and bargain if you could score it at ideal price!few hunge!be interesting to see what it goes for

Sniped on the last bid by $1 :thumbdown: well if they are worth 1k brand new o website that will be a bit out of my budget, anyone other frame someone can recommend that will be good?

maybe look at that crf70 style frame from dhz??and keep your eye out for some good quality 2nd hand gear as you go too keep costs down, I think they are a pretty solid unit from what ive heard!!.unless you wanna spend big which you don't be patient and keep your eye out on ebay and gumtree etc .a good build doesn't need too be rushed!:)hope it helps bro

Yeah the crf70 style frame from dhz was the one I was going with in the first place, but apparently there is no setup for that frame that will make the bike feel a bit bigger than the 50's

It definitely feels bigger than the 50's though??

What do you mean?

Well I'm looking for the feel of somewhere around the lines of an lxr, or even life a pitpro/atomik Bigfoot, where it just feels like a bigger bike than say an ordinary china with cfr50 style frame and 12/14 wheels, I am fairly tall so need something I can't stand up on without breaking my back, my first original post shows the setup I planned on using and wasn't sure if that would give me the 'bigger' bike that I'm after and I got toldno it wouldnt

Well I'm looking for the feel of somewhere around the lines of an lxr, or even life a pitpro/atomik Bigfoot, where it just feels like a bigger bike than say an ordinary china with cfr50 style frame and 12/14 wheels, I am fairly tall so need something I can't stand up on without breaking my back, my first original post shows the setup I planned on using and wasn't sure if that would give me the 'bigger' bike that I'm after and I got toldno it wouldnt
yeah well you can pick up some nice lxr rollers for like 800 around there anyway
if you want to get a cheaper one you could look for a pitpro se roller or somthing just make sure the shocker is good
also a cini/ptso roller would work fine and i can confirm that (the linkage models) as because i have ridden them and am confterble and im 6'5

Last edited:
Yeah I've been looking for an lxr roller, not much around, only finding complete bikes for thousands but will keep my eye out,

Latest posts

Back