Buying a car interstate and bringing it to vic

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingers

Reaction score
Hey

Going to go and look at a car that is in qld soon and wanna know if anyone has had experiance in bringin a car to vic from interstate?

The car is from a dealer and is advertised at 25990 drive away

This is what the dealer emailed me

At $25990 this price includes stamp duty of 3.5% and transfer fees. We can transfer the Queensland registration into your name but you must provide 3 forms of identification to do this: (I will need a scanned copy)

1. Drivers licence or passport

2. Medicare card

3. Bank eftpos card or credit card.

By doing this you can take the vehicle with the Queensland registration and when it runs out of registration you can then organise vic registration ? YOU DEFINITELY DO NOT PAY STAMP DUTY TWICE.

Now i know that i cannot garage a qld car down here for longer than X amount of time as im a vic resident and i do have to get the rego changed to vic plates. Now it seems that the vic roads website says that i need to take the car to get checked over and what not, but it also says that im gonna need to pay stamp duty again on the car???

Anyone know anything about this?

Their calculator says that for inital reg im going to need to pay $1,676.10 which includes 1000 for stamp duty

my parents bought a car last year in august from vic and drove it back home to NSW

it came with registration but they didnt give us actual plates to drive with but all this paperwork and you dont need to worry about tolls as there is nothing they can do to charge you, we also didnt get pulled over the whole way home which is was 12 hours

but in saying this im not really sure whether its going to be same taking it from qld to vic

not concerened about driving the car home with the qld rego or anything like that just really dont want to have to pay stamp duty twice on the car in 2 different states, which looking at vic roads i might have to...

if you transfer the rego in to your name you have 3 months to move it to vic rego and yes you pay stamp duty twice ha ha. so don't take the rego! simple as that, drive home without the plates just as long as you have all the paper work proving you own the car cops won't care as there isn't very good laws when it comes to driving with no plates from state to state. it's terrible... if your worried get a form from vicroads that lets you drive without plates and just lie and say your driving from it only in vic ha ha.

Can i do that and not get the qld rego? dont care if i drive the car with no rego, lol

yeah just don't take the qld rego. too easy! Then drive home plateless! that way you only pay stamp duty when you get it registered with vicroads. But factor in first time registration plus tac fees and plates is like 1100. It isn't the same as yearly rego of like 600.

yeah i would still have to pay the stamp duty down here and the cost for me to get it regoed would be 1676 plus the cost of a roadie

thanks will speak to the dealer and see how we go about it

$1676... far out who told you that and did they tell you why it would be so much??? is that price including the stamp duty?!

I'm not sure what you guys are smoking. You won't have to pay stamp duty twice.

If the car is in your name you'll have to pay to transfer the QLD rego to Vic rego, but not stamp duty. Vicroads has all transfer charge information available on their website. From memory it's fairly cheap but I'm not sure if you'll need a RWC.

Personally what I'd recommend is to buy the car unregistered and drive it home on a permit. Vicroads can supply a permit that is valid in all states for transport purposes. Once down here you can get yourself a Vic RWC and register the car, pay your stamp duty and be done with it...

Hope this helps :)

(If you hassle me I can probably find all the relevant information, alternatively, call Vicroads.)

stamp duty is a state tax and im pretty sure im gonna have to pay it here and in qld.

i've looked on the vic raods site and everything points to stamp duty

If you can find somewhere that it states that i wont have to pay it your welcome to show me, it would be great if you could

If you are that worried why don't you drive it back on a permit? :)

I'll have a look at the Vicroads website now... Calling them is usually the best option though, their operators are usually fairly helpful and have a good idea of the best/easiest/cheapest way to do things ;)

OK, I'm shaped at the moment, I can't be buggered with the Vicroads website.

Call them, seriously worth it :D

yeah im gonna talk to the dealer and see if i can buy it with no rego, this is a second hand car by the way. Will call up vicroads but they not gonna be open till monday, so im tryin to find out now if i can. not really worried if im gonna have to pay it, if i have to i have to nothin i can do about it. But if i can save 1000 then i'll save it, lol

As far as I'm aware transferring registration between states doesn't incur stamp duty as long as the car is in your name. I could be completely wrong though.

Either way, I see no reason to register the car in QLD only to have to transfer the rego as soon as you get down here. Hopefully the dealer lets you leave with the car on a permit only :)

Good luck with it all, let us know how you get on!

Last edited:
You can't get a permit from vicroads unless your journey starts in victoria! So personally if you wanna not do the dodgy I'd get the permit from vicroads and just pretend you've picked the car up from somewhere on the boarder line like wodonga... but who knows car dealer might be on to you and not let you do a dodgy!

I've been there and done all this and stamp duty was paid twice. I almost stabbed the lady at vicroads when I was transferring the rego I was so mad(mine was from nsw to vic). Ha ha. But it's all for your own good as they run checks on the car and crap, as cars can be written off in one state but not another! So you might drive back from qld with out plates just to get to vic and rego the car and find out its completely written off. But if you get the qld rego and then transfer that to vic rego they will just accept it and transfer it over.

Personally I would never do any of this again... it's not worth it unless the car is amazingly DIRT MOTHER F***EN CHEAP.

im hoping they do. Should only cost me a few hung to get the slips to drive it unregoed. And hopefully that should take of a grand from the cost of the car.

will find out more on monday when i start the ring around. Still gotta go up and see the car myself still, lol

OK, this page states that:
"Motor vehicle duty is not payable where:
* An applicant for re-registration is the last registered operator of a vehicle and the vehicle was registered in Australia"

In other words, if the vehicle is registered to you in QLD you won't need to pay duty down here :D

From memory when you hand your QLD plates in they organise a refund of your QLD reg and you sort your Vic reg from there... Don't quote me on this, I'm too lazy to look it up!

See here for transferring interstate registration.

I bloody knew you didn't have to pay duty twice, it niggled at me enough to put up with the slow loading website :p

Feel free to +reps ;)

I'd look up the permit information too but I'm not sure I've got enough hair left to continue pulling it out :p

I'm going to get drunk now...

PS, Rach- You got stung... Ouch!

Last edited:
rach i have to get the slip from the state where i start so qld, should be to much of a headach to get the car re regoed down here a visit to a mech for raody then a visit to vic roads. And yes the car is worth it, A immaculate Bf MkII xr6 Turbo and its in a manual. If anyone has tried to find one of these in a manual would have difficuties to find a stock one that hasent been raped by the previous owner or modified. There is one down here in vic but it has been crashed previously and the dealer was tryin to tell me it wasnt. Told him to look at the location of the badges on the back of the car and told him i wasnt interested

ok cheers mate that makes things a bit easier for me

+ reps for you

Go have that drink you deserve it, lol

Latest posts

Back