Buying my first Mini

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beyno

Reaction score
I am new to the whole mini scene and after having a ball on y mates mini over a weekend away it has encouraged me to get my own.

I am looking to spend around $500-$600 on either a cheap new bike or a second hand bike.

After reading a bit on some of the old threads it seemd like a lot of you think that is not enough to get something decent however for my first mini I dont want to blow the budget.

I am not sure what way I should go. I will probably get a 125, and at the moment I am looking at something new off ebay (atomic/TDR) [ NEW ATOMIK MOTOX 125CC PIT DIRT BIKE MOTOR THUMPSTAR - eBay Other Trail Bikes, Trail Bikes, Motorcycles, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 22-Mar-09 20:30:00 AEDST) ] or something second hand like this [ Atomik 125cc dirt bike pit pro 125 customised custom - eBay Other Trail Bikes, Trail Bikes, Motorcycles, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 25-Mar-09 16:23:58 AEDST) ]. There were a few bikes in the sales area here going for 500 or 550 that looked ok as well.

Can anyone give any suggestions as to what would be better for the money I want to spend?

if you're only going to spend $500-$600 then go for a new atomik rather then a second hand bike, but everyone will sugest you save and get an MSO or even a PITPRO

You should probably have a look around the mini classifieds section as im sure there will be a good bike going cheap in there. For 500 bucks i would probably try to find something with a lifan motor as there are heaps of aftermarket parts for these. I would probably also look for something with USD (upside down) forks, the forks on the mini in the first link are regular telescopic forks so thats probably not the best choice unless you are pretty light. If possible try and get one with a "cradle frame" as it will be stronger and more sturdy. But its up to you both of those bikes would probably be ok for a first bike but you will learn quickly what is good and bad about thos type of bikes and you will want to upgrade so... I'd be patient and cruise around the mini classifieds section until something good popped up

I was looking at a few Pitpro & MSO bikes and they both seem just a little more expensive. I am guessing that it is a yes but is there much difference between a Pitpro or MSO and a Atomik?

If I was to get a cheap atomik and decide to get a whole heap of upgrades after a little while what would be important and how much would each item be?

I will look around for something with USD forks, I am sure I found a few with them and I know I found a few bikes with cradle frames.

So something like this would be the way to go?

2009 125cc RR PITPRO, DIRT BIKE THUMPSTAR PIT TRAIL - eBay Other Trail Bikes, Trail Bikes, Motorcycles, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 24-Mar-09 21:00:00 AEDST)

This atomik is probably on top of my list at the moment.

USD forks
all gears up
BIG BORE LIFAN 125cc Race Series engine
Does not have a cradle frame but it has a Tubular Trellis Frame that sounds good.
NEW ATOMIK NITROUS 125CC PIT DIRT BIKE MOTOR THUMPSTAR - eBay Other Trail Bikes, Trail Bikes, Motorcycles, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 22-Mar-09 21:45:00 AEDST)

Sound ok to anyone else?

Last edited:
whatever you do don't buy a second hand china bike, it's just asking for trouble
atomiks are crap but would be the best bike you can get with $600 but then you've gotta spend at least a couple hundred more to make it more reliable,
stay away from TDR those bikes are as dodgy as they come

yea that nitrous is the best atomik 125 there is atm
the pitpro is a much better bike if you can afford it

I'm pretty sure a dew members on here have the atomik nitrous. I know it gets alot of crap from other members, i have never owned one, but it looks quite good on the website. My bro has an atomik 250 and its build quality was pretty good. I think it would be a good start. There is pretty much no difference between it and the PitPro... the pitpro comes with a spare kit which would be good for someone new to minis.

yea that nitrous is the best atomik 125 there is atm
the pitpro is a much better bike if you can afford it

I probably could afford it however I really ant to get something before easter as I will be camping over easter.

The other problem I have is my fiance, wll she is not the problem. I have wanted a full sized bike for a while now however my mrs just will not budge and wont let me get one. I convinced her that a pit bike would be great and she somehow agreed, however she will spend the same amount I spend on a bike on what ever she wants.

So really a $600 would cost me (us) $1200...

I am sure there will be something in the instruction manual when I get a new bike but what needs to be done before I ride it?

Would there be a problem if I was take it off road on fairly rough conditions for the first time? Should I wear it in around the street first?

first thing when u get it you gotta locktight ALL the bolts, I missed a couple on my bike and they came loose while i was out in the bush which really sucked
then put some good mineral oil in it and lube the chain then you should be good to go,

first couple tanks of fuel you should try not to stress the engine too much, this doesn't mean you should ride around like a granny, you need to go through all the gears and rev ranges but just don't hold the throttle all the way open, and you gotta use lots of engine brakeing so avoid using your brakes as much as possible

don't stress too much about running in, just have fun ;)

btw that classified ad is from 2007, try and avoid second hand china's they'll come with allot of problems

Last edited:
By every bolt I guess you mean EVERY bolt?

Wow! That might take some time. I can see why it is important however.

By every bolt I guess you mean EVERY bolt?

Wow! That might take some time. I can see why it is important however.
yep EVERY bolt on the bike except for the engine's bolts, they should be fine
just pull up a chair and a few beers and it'll be done in an hour or 2, doing this also forces you to learn about the parts on your bike and how it all holds together

it's worth it tho, my exhaust came off cuz I forgot to lock it, then next ride my front brake caliper fell off for the same reason, I had to remove the whole brake assembly and had no front brakes for the rest of the day

yep EVERY bolt on the bike except for the engine's bolts, they should be fine
just pull up a chair and a few beers and it'll be done in an hour or 2, doing this also forces you to learn about the parts on your bike and how it all holds together

it's worth it tho, my exhaust came off cuz I forgot to lock it, then next ride my front brake caliper fell off for the same reason, I had to remove the whole brake assembly and had no front brakes for the rest of the day

No worries,

Thanks for your help ;)

yea try pitpro try going to somewhere like citymotorcycles they have good prices do NOT ever buy a second hand china as u wnt know if thehy havebeen treated well or have been thrashed bashed and crashed plus chinas only last a few years really so if sum1 else has had the bike fir a eyer or 2 then it doesnt have as long as a new bike to last you

So at the moment it looks like I will settle for an Atomik 125cc Nitous.

However, if I was looking to spend $800-$1000 what would I be looking at? would it be worth spending the extra $200-$300 or would there not be that much of a difference between a $650 bike and a $900 bike?

$800-$1000 will get you a pitpro 125

There is a big gap between a $600 bike and $1000 bike, better build qulity, better parts, won't brake down as much, ECT. but there is a big difference in bikes.

Honestly, I don't see that much difference between a pitpro and an atomik, apart from that pitpro has a better name. From memory the suspension is alike, and engine is the same..
I would just go the atomik and save a couple hundred bucks.
Maybe look at getting a 2nd hand MSO, i saw 2 140s's on ebay the other day for around $600..
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back