Buying Your First Car.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney

Reaction score
Hi guys

what age did you get your first car, how much money did you have to spend, what car did you get?

I am 15 but 16 next year in may. I have $2000-$2500 to spend so far.

Would it be a good idea for me to kind of start looking around now?

I have found a Holden Commodore VR wagon for $2500 would you reccomend that?

make sure it has a rwc and has no faults.

Daniel doesn't know anything about cars, ignore him.

Don't buy a car, save and save and save until your 18 and buy a WR250 and get it registered while your on your bike L's.

Getting my license on a WR250F next year, spending about $6000.

I want a car. I thought of a motorbike but now I don't really want one.

I was 16 and had a shit box VL commodore what cost $1300. It was the most unreliable car ever. So after a couple years of driving that I upgraded to another VL hehehe.

motolover i think i seen your vl the other day. might not have been yours but you know lol

Haha really? where at? I only drive it a couple of times a week because I have little money atm and i cant afford to pay defects if I get pulled over lol.

I got my P's 3 months ago and bought my dads old car off him, a 97 daihatsu charade (laugh now but it goes fair hard). i got it for 2,200 and if i was buying from a dealer i would be lucky to get one for 5k. i worked out a deal with my dad where i give him $24 a week and that pays for my rego and insurance (full comprehensive).

get a 4 cylinder...stuff the v's, you cant use the power anywhere and they cost alot more to run (petrol, insurance, rego). Trust me in your early days youll wanna spend the least amount possible on fuel. I have a car that does 100km on 6L of fuel and im still spending nearly 40 a week just driving here and there...it allll adds up. Get a pulsar, swift...something little and fast dont be fooled by a cheap car youll end up finding rego cost shitloads and you cant get it insured lol!

Last edited:
get a 4 cylinder...stuff the v's, you cant use the power anywhere and they cost alot more to run (petrol, insurance, rego). Trust me in your early days youll wanna spend the least amount possible on fuel. I have a car that does 100km on 6L of fuel and im still spending nearly 40 a week just driving here and there...it allll adds up. Get a pulsar, swift...something little and fast dont be fooled by a cheap car youll end up finding rego cost shitloads and you cant get it insured lol!

Cant use the power??? Are you crazy???. My VL does around 10l to 100km and I go through around $10-20 a week on fuel. Pulsar or swift fast????? My VL is slow as shit, every standard 6 cylinder commodore is slow as shit.:)

Your best off saving ya money and going for a reliable car like a ford falcon or holden commodore. I'm a holden man my self and have a 1998 modded vt but you can pick up falcons for next to nothing, go for a manuel as well, cheaper plus are more fun to drive.

nah I learnt to drive a manual when I was 12 I like auto way more. Just put ya foot down lol

haha true about the pulsar and swift not being fast lol, but i meant you cant even use half the power V6 and V8holdens and fords have if you stick to the speed limit.
oh yeah get a front wheel drive so you can go rallying and rip the hand brake up :) what fun lol. not saying you cant do it in a rear wheel but alot more control in a front on dirt roads. and WHATEVER you do dont get an auto!!! youll be sick of driving in a week, soooooo boring!!!!!!! i love manuals you can rev the shit out of em lol

lol go the front wheel drive. more control in a rear wheel drive if ya know how to drift.lol, i got stuck with my sis Hyundai lantra, not a bad car goes hard, you can do redline changes but the thing vibrates like shit and feels the panels might fall off. its true you will be sick of an auto, manuals are way more fun as you can spin the wheels by dropping the clutch without having to worry about the thing changing gears.

Make sure you talk to ya parents about this as they may be able to pitch in petrol money, if not forget about a 6 or 8 cylinder as you won't be able to afford it in the long run, trust me, get like a honda prelude, later on when ya have some more money you'll be able to buy a budget turbo kit.lots of fun.

Latest posts

Back