Can anyone help a uni student..

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twisties

Reaction score
Hey everyone, usually i wouldn't go posting my personal problems on a forum but I'm really running out of options here.

Basicaly I'm a 2nd year civil engineering student looking for a 6 month internship beginning in July of this year.
I've been looking for months, I've tried every major and minor company I can find but they've all turned me down because I'm a 2nd year student.

Unfortunately the way my course is structed i have to do a 6 month internship in my 2nd year, and then another 6 months in my 4th year.

I thought I would have no trouble finding an internship so i didnt bother enrolling into my subjects for next semester.
I realised maybe I wasnt going to find anything so i tried to enroll today and found that 2 out of the 4 subjects are already full.

due to a bunch of other reasons i'm quickly running out of money here too. i dont want to bore you with my sob story but basically finding an internship would make such a huge difference to me right now.

I've got a pretty decent resume and my marks are credit average so I'm not a dud or anything.

If anyone knows the names of any civil engineers, civil consulting places or any councils who might want civ. eng. interns please let me know, i've applied to almost 20 places so far and none of them have responded.
I dont know what i'm doing wrong but if anyone could help i'd be so grateful!

I'm located in baulkham hills NSW, i can travel reasonable distances, travelling to the city is no problem. it would be great if i could find somewhere who would pay me but beggers can't be choosers.

i know its a long shot but i thought its worth a try, hopefuly someone can help me out?

Twisties, is there any possible way you'd consider moving to Melbourne for 6 months if it was a paid position??
I know an engineer who is heading up a pretty major government project at the moment..... even if he couldn't help you out he may have some contacts.

I'll have a chat with him and see if he has any contacts in Sydney. I know you need to know ASAP but when is your realistic cutoff time???

wow moving to melbourne, i'll have to get back to you on that one! if thats what it came down to then i guess i could do it, i'd feel a bit bad leaving my mum on her own though but for all i know maybe she'd prefer that?! lol

my cut off time would be the end of july, because uni starts up again on the 27th of july.

it looks like i left it really late but i honestly started looking about 2 months ago and still managed to find nothing :(

thanks for your help skylar :)

Give me a week.... and remind me on Friday! ;)
My mate is back and forth to country Vic.... but I can usually catch him on a weekend if not before. But remind me on Friday! :)

um, the place i was working at... hardmetals australia. took on a few interns while i was there.

its in hornsby, so fairly local. involved with...well, hard metals. basically tungsten carbide tools/mining equipment.

always was busy, and, reminds me, im going to have to ring up and see 1, why he tried ringing me a few weeks ago, 2, get a reference, and 3, get my group certificate... yeah, i was on the production side of things....boring and monotonous.so after three years, i quit...and there was other things as well... not to worry...im not going to have a sob...:)

just look up tungsten carbide in the yellow pages...for some reason its a 1300 number.... mainly cause theres an office in perth melbourne and brisbane....

pics of some of the things we made...if photoshack works:p a brick crusher on the burners, and an 18inch rock drill

stupid photoshack.... grrrrrrr. after three attempts, photoshack can kiss my ...well, need i elaborate?

ok, fourth...fifth? time lucky

Last edited:
hey headsmess that stuff looks awesome, thanks for your help but i dont think that kind of stuff would come under civil engineering unfortunately.

and skylar ill be sure to remind you on friday! thanks again :)

its civil engineering. not quite roads, or bridges... but more the tools used in building the bridges...that rock drill did 450 metres under glebe island bridge(i think?) for electricity cables...being production, i didnt get told anything, just work!

rta, energy australia, railcorp....fair few different clients we worked for...

hey, we were taking on interns doing mechatronics/robotics...nothing robotic at this place... except maybe the mills, and thats machinists area...you? youd be drawing, updating drawings, calculating costs, researching steels etc.... drinking tea and eating biccies in the office...

its only a suggestion.... being close and all that:)

Last edited:
oh ok i didnt think of it like that. ill give them a ring tomorrow and see what they say :)

thanks again man, i totally appreciate your help :)

Latest posts

Back