Carbon Fibre

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8r3nd0

Sinister 50's
Reaction score
Ok so some people might know that I made a carbon tank cover quite some time ago, and I got asked a few times on how I did it. Let me start by saying I'm sure people have got other ways and by no means am I an expert at fibreglassing but this is just to show you what works for me and if someone can take something from it then all good.
I'm thinking of making a few parts from scratch and skinning my exhaust cap but I'll see how I go with the tank cover first.
The reason I'm doing it is because I couldn't find a perimeter tank cover anywhere so thought stuff it I'll just make one and I'm going to try a sin50 logo inlay while I'm at it.
Oh and while I'm at it there is probably going to be more pics then words as I'm a bit of a lazy bugger haha.
This was the first cover I made.
2u3anasy.jpg

I ordered my kit from Play with Carbon Australia online.
First you want to find where the cover needs to stop, draw a line around the tank to mark out where the cover should stop.
Second wet and dry the tank then clean with prepsol to remove any grease or crap.
Tape up the tank around where you marked with some electrical tape, make sure to tape everything that you don't want covered in resin.
6esyjuga.jpg

Apply three thick coats of mould release allowing each coat to dry fully.
upy7adar.jpg

Update to come.

Last edited:
This going to be a wicked thread.

Thanks Brendo your a legend.

Ok update.
Got the kit today so here it is.
qadehesu.jpg

If you can try to get rolled carbon not folded as the strands move where it folds and takes some screwing around to get back into place.
Alright so the first coat I do is a nice thick coat with a tad less hardener as you want this first coat to dry slowly.
You should get a black tint when purchasing the kit so it is a solid black and the carbon won't have any clear sections between the weaves.
Allow to dry for around 2 hrs or until it is tacky to touch but no resin comes off onto your fingers.
u9u2ugah.jpg

While you patiently wait you can size up the carbon section you need and cut the hole for where the cap is. Make sure to wear gloves as any grease or crap will cause you grief later on. Cut the hole smaller then it needs to be. Also cut along the straight weaves as it will help it to not fall apart on you, treat it like gold as it is very sensitive to movement and always use the sharpest scissors known to man.
Once tacky you can now lay on the carbon very slowly starting from the centre out.
Don't pull it to much or you will stretch the weave out and it will show up badly ( and put the stupid cat away or you will have it head bump you halfway through and you'll stuff one side like I did DAMN STUPID CAT ) work very slowly and push the carbon down paying attention to where your curves are.
jyqebyza.jpg

Cut off the excess carbon carefully and blow away any loose strands.
Now you can mix up your first clear coat and apply very gently as brushing can still move the weave at this point. Apply a nice thick coat trying not to slop it passed where the cover will be cut to. Use a heat gun or hair dryer on medium to bring the small air bubbles to the top and pop. This is a must or you will have air stuck in the cover and it will look ****house lol.
qanu8yha.jpg

Let dry a full 24hrs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back