cdi problems

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, it was wired right:) i went by the guide that the blue white is the pickup coil on my other engines, whites the pickup on the irk, and if black red is the charge coil on other engines, black is charge on the irk, green being frame/ earth. really, it is quite basic, theres only a few wires... and pretty easy to see whats attached to where...

advance and retard...i dunno...i had a spark happening, but absolutely nothing when kicking it over. no popping, no coughing, just a sore foot after five minutes, and a sore head from scratching it:p maybe i could chuck a timing light on it, work out where it sparks, and possibly cut a new keyway in the rotor to take a standard box, but thats more work than just using an ork...(previous owner flogged out the screw heads) i just dont have a spare one, or a spare 85 dollars at this present moment in time...and dhz doesnt have any in stock, anyway.

as for chinese irks letting go, that you mentioned in that REVIEWED thread, cactus... last time i was at dhz he had one on a shelf... those magnets must've gone into orbit:p wouldnt liked to have been the guy riding at the time, specially if he had one of those stupid plastic cases....

today, got the cdi box for it, wired up with no issues. yellow/white and the green to coil, other green to earth, kill switch(black/white) and main charge coil(black) both to the red/white from box, and white to white. started first kick, ran:) this 140 has had some work compared to the other one i have...definitely goes harder. and seeing as the copper washer on the studs is in the wrong spot, its been pulled apart before. im not touching it. yet.

Last edited:
ok still got problems, checked wiring and it was right, put my old cdi back on and was doing the same thing so now i have no idea whats wrong with it, was running fine before i put the cdi on so i presumed the cdi was the problem. my friend put that same cdi on his bike and it hammeres with it so there is a problem with my bike which occured by putting this new cdi on. i pulled the head apart and check the piston rings etc and all seems fine, my only other idea would be the magneto is buggered? i doubt the timing chain is out cause i havent changed anything down there and its mechanical so the cdi couldnt of effected that. any thoughts??!!

mmm, magnetos are usually bulletproof, so, try a different coil, you might have fried that, and the think about the magneto....

got a multi meter? i might measure my coils resistance so you have a figure to look for if you do have one....

id basically check both wires against the green/earth and if its less than...

fine, measured...reading about 380-650 ohms on the red/black wire, and 100-120 ohms on the blue white.(checking four engines) anything drastically different means your magnetos screwed:)
like 0 means its shorted, and megohms means its opencircuit...

yea, my magneto seemed fine. its gotta be something to do with the electrics, ill put my spare coil on and see how i go and if that doesnt work then ill get another cdi or something, im running out of ideas.
bloody chinas

Latest posts

Back