chain keeps coming loose

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tysons_201

Reaction score
I have a problem with my bike every ride the chain comes loose and starts to hit the swingarm making a rattling noise which is really annoying. I have to tighten it before every ride and every 30 min of riding or less.
Is this just the chain stretching? cause if it is it stretches alot.

Yes. Some chains are just crap.
I would imagion this is probly the stock chain am i rite?

I would say change this asap because if your chain snaps, it can get pricey.

yeah stock gold chain.
it just keep streching but its still sitting on the sprocket fine so couldnt have streched that much. I remember in my push bike days after a fair bit of riding the chain used to stretch and no longer sat on the sprocket properly.

It may sit on the sprocket now but because its stretching, it means its a pile of poo. Its meant to stretch a little because when you sit on the bike, or do jumps, the swingarm pulls away and the chain stretches.

Just watch it. If it comes so lose that it may come of the sprocket, change it. Its stock anyways so i would change it.

replace the chain... it does get very costly if you dont... i have pics of my bike and its cheap chain, ill post them up when i can

yeah well i'm onto my 2nd chain now due to when my wheel broke and my chain bent. Both the chains i have used have had "tight spots" where i would wheel the bike forward and the chain will be very loose and will keep wheeling the bike and the chain will go tight again. Not sure if this is a sprocket or chain problem could be either.
Can someone shed me some light on this?

tyson more likely to be a bent sprocket or hub than 'tight spots' in a chain... never herd of that before.

Seeing that you are stretching chains like crazy and pulled the bearing out of your hub (never heard of that before), there is something drastically wrong with your setup. You must be keeping your chain way too tight. The chain after being tightened with you off the bike will tighten a lot further once your on it and even further once you have compressed the rear shock in use.

EDIT- The chains and sprockets on the MSO are heavy duty 428 and are very durable. A lot of bikes only run 420. Like all chains they will stretch when new but then stop. I thought about your situation a little more and there is only a few possibilities. At the engine end, if you had the chain too tight in the beginning when you smashed the hub, the drive shaft could have been bent. You can test for this by idling the motor in first without the chain on and look for the sprocket to be wobbling. If this is running true then it has to be the rear sprocket running untrue. The sprocket bolts are not a snug fit in the mount holes and if allowed to wear loose will allow the sprocket to move off centre even more. This will also be accelerated by running the chain too tight. Now these will explain the chain tightening when rolling forward. If you tighten the chain in the slack position and have a tendancy to keep it quite tight then it tightens up more in the tight position, tightens more when you hop on, then tightens more when you ride... the whole thing gets worse next time, until something goes crack!

Well i had just got a new back wheel and the problem is still there i remember when i was tensioning the chain after replacing the wheel i noticed there was still a tight spot and there has been since i got the bike.
The chain is constantly rattling on the swingarm over bumps and i tensioned the chain according to the manual also.

Your front drive shaft sounds bent. Have you got a sprung chain roller or a solid wheel?

There is no give in the system with a solid roller. You need to run with no tightening of the chain at all. Find which of the sprockets is running off centre and fix it. Then run bigger sprocket combo or a big chain guard if your worried about the chain hitting the swinger. You can't keep that chain so tight with something not running true. You will just keep doing severe damage.

Just a question apart from your bent possibilities, do you oil the chain? I oil mine before every ride, absolutly soak it in castrol chain oil. Also my chain came loose for the first 3 rides, now i do not have to tension it, as it seems to fit snug on the sprockets.

Cheers.

I oiled my chain today with a bit of home made 1part oil 2 parts turps.
Also in the manual it says the chain needs to be able to move 15mm-25mm at the top. Mine moves about 15mm and still seems very loose as it rattles on the swingarm constantly which is very annoying.

are you sure its the chain hitting the swing arm?, i was having the same problem once i checked over the bike i noticed that the pop rivits in the exaust came out... so i pulled that of and fixed it. then it was for a test and i still could hear the rattling noise... so i stoped and looked at it.. i noticed when i was sitting on the bike i could c that the stand was just touching the swing arm there for it was making the noises

as for the chain i had the same problem but after it was worn in it seemed to be fine!!!

ok, so here is what i done to my bike

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

Ouch! did you just have to replace the magneto and side cover?
Also, that chain looks a bit dry and rusty (surface)...

damn hope my chain doesnt come off.
Well i've run over a tank of hard riden fuel though it with this chain and it still keeps stretchin. And it isnt the wheel moving forward it has to be chain stretch because my wheel is getting further and further back looking at the marks on the swingarm.

also forgot to mention i am sure its the chain hitting the swingarm.

tysons_201 said:
damn hope my chain doesnt come off.
Well i've run over a tank of hard riden fuel though it with this chain and it still keeps stretchin. And it isnt the wheel moving forward it has to be chain stretch because my wheel is getting further and further back looking at the marks on the swingarm.

Prob took my chain 2 tanks to finish stretching, of hard riding though, been through about 7-8 tanks since, and has not stretched much at all during those tanks.

Id give it a bit more riding for the chain to bed in properly if that were the issue.

Latest posts

Back