chain keeps getting loose?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat-magz

Reaction score
hey guys my chain on my 140 mso keeps getten loose i tightened it the other day, it shouldnt be doin that right?? should i take a link out or wat do i do....

cheers

Is it a new chain? Generally new chains stretch so you'll have to adjust in the beginning.

If it isn't new, do you adjust the wheel so it is the right tension? Then... does it come loose after riding? If so I would think it isn't the chain that you need to worry about, but more so the tightening of the wheel. Maybe your wheel keep moving forward, therefore making the chain loose??

ok cheers mate yea that might be the problem its just getten looser after riding..... ill let ya know how i go

cheers

well it was the one the bloke had when i bought it off him so must be stocko one

probably a KMC chain, take it of and burn it, then get yourself an RK OR DI.D.

haha yea i think thats what im gonna have to do...

cheers

what are pullbacks and where do i get em from an how much

them doo dad adjuster things on the axle... have a bolt and locknut to stop the wheel sliding forward... where to get them? um...no idea:eek:...ebay is the best bet...

ok, on a pushie they usually pull back, on a moto they push back...same shit different smell...i call em pullbacks...adjusters is probably better...

Buy my chain!! new 420 DID 30 posted....

yea mate this exactly what you need, won't stretch like madness or spap easily.
but it looks like you seriously need a chain tensioner or this problem will never go away, check dhz on ebay and people parting out their bikes in classifieds

Yep a D.I.D or RK chain will help ... but if he's adjusting it wrong he'll keep on having problems ...

The distance from the front of the engines counter shaft sprocket to the back of the rear wheel sprocket is at its longest when the centrelines of the output shaft , the swingarm pivot bolt and the rear axle are all aligned in a dead straight line ... When they are aligned you can tighten the chain leaving minimal play ... that's because it can't get any tighter as the swingarm passes the aligned point ... BUT it will get looser above and below that point ... IF you over-tighten the chain above or below the parallel alignment point it will pull tighter and stretch the chain as it passes that point ... IF the chain didn't stretch , the engine shaft , seal , rear sprocket , hub , sprocket bolts , axle and wheel bearings would all get strained ... So in a nutshell ... there's a sound engineering reason why it would not be in the best interests of the bikes' manufacturer to fit a super strong chain as stock due to the possibility that too many people would be over tightening the chain ... THEN complaining and wanting things fixed under warranty or bagging out the brand ... when it was they who were at fault ...

In most cases , weak points have to be deliberately engineered into structures to accommodate the idiot factor ... ie crumple zones on cars ...

more on what cactus said...

i remember reading somewhere that henry ford(nazi:p) wanted to cut costs on the model T ford, so went to all the junkyards and mechanics to find which parts didnt break.... with the whole intention of making said part weaker hence cheaper.... turned out to be the king pins in the front axle mainly.

have you set fire to a ford, lately:p

Latest posts

Back