Chain popping in first Gear

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bighomedog11

Reaction score
Hey i went out riding today on a few trails was riding kind of hard and when i was on my way home, I notice the chain would pop when I was in first gear going up the hill. It would sometimes pop in second but not really. I am wondering could my chain be too loose and causing this? Because it only pops when i am in first and going up a hill or any kind of incline.

Hey i went out riding today on a few trails was riding kind of hard and when i was on my way home, I notice the chain would pop when I was in first gear going up the hill. It would sometimes pop in second but not really. I am wondering could my chain be too loose and causing this? Because it only pops when i am in first and going up a hill or any kind of incline.

Chain may be too stretched needing replacing, chain could be too loose needing tightning, front or rear sprockets could have stretched teeth, this is noticable by the teeth being rounded rather than straight and thinning of the tips of the teeth, when adjusting your chain try and have someone of similiar weight on the bike so you can make sure adjustment is to your liking as it can be hard getting a consistent adjustment with no weight on the bike.

I dont think the chain is stretch yet the bike is not that old. I think i just need to tighten the chain because it is kind of loose. I am going to tighten the chain and give it a try.. About how tight should the chain be?

I dont think the chain is stretch yet the bike is not that old. I think i just need to tighten the chain because it is kind of loose. I am going to tighten the chain and give it a try.. About how tight should the chain be?

you need to hop on the bike and compress the rear suspension a bit whilst holding the chain to check if your chain tightens or loosens with weight on it(sounds strange but it does happen on certain bikes with different swingarm angles)then go from there, with your body weight on the bike your chain wants to be tight but with a little slack allowing for tightning when the spring compresses, but if your chain loosens with weight on the bike you need to make it tight with little slack as it will loosen with the spring compressing.

Alright, but how tight should the chain be when i sit on the bike? Should it be tight but still have a inch of play?

Alright, but how tight should the chain be when i sit on the bike? Should it be tight but still have a inch of play?

yeah an inch is cool or 3/4 of an inch. Whatever you think will be better mate.

I normally set it up so when i touch the chain I can press it up on 2 teeth on the rear. Also don't discount the stretched chain bood

Latest posts

Back