Chain Tension??

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangus!!

Reaction score
hey'
just noticed lookin at sum ov the fotm pics and the chains look pretty tight..
when i got mine i was told if i was doin jumps and ridin rough terrain to hav it so it just misses the bottom ov the swingarm..
wat do u guys reckon?

One of the best ways to know is to sit on the bike with your feet on the pegs while someone holds u up. Lift the chain up and down, u should have about 40-50mm of slack. This give u enough slack that when u land a jump and the suspension compresses it doesn't snap your chain. Likewise, if its to loose then when u come off the ramp and your suspension goes to full extension, the chain come become to lose and come off the sprocket.

The tigter the chain the more wear its going to undertake and the easier it'll snap.

yeah thats y i asked cos ive got mine set so it moves about 50mm but sum of the pics look tight as

Check slack when your swingarm is horizontal. That is when your chain will be stretched the most.

My manual recommends 15mm-25mm when the swingarm is horizontal.

I have a pitpro 125mm, may be different for other bikes i dont know ?

for jumping & rough terrain, your chain should be "two finger" loose.. say up near the nylon chain roller/swing arm protector..

however i run mine just off tight so there is no lag per say off the throttle when pulling up & going around on wheelie

Check slack when your swingarm is horizontal. That is when your chain will be stretched the most.

My manual recommends 15mm-25mm when the swingarm is horizontal.

I have a pitpro 125mm, may be different for other bikes i dont know ?

25mm at horizontal (its longest point) is spot on, it will of course be about 40-50mm when the bike is just sitting or on a stand as the swingarm will be far from horizontal. but 50mm when ur sitting on the bike, the chain will be slappin ur swingarm something shocking.....

You're supposed to check it down the bottom, under the swingarm.

Latest posts

Back