Chains and Atomik Avengers

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBNPWR

Reaction score
I have an Atomik Avenger and I am scratching my head trying to work out how and what to use as a swingarm protector for the chain. I am refering to the one that is on top of the swingarm on the left hand side near the pivot point. Because of the angle of the chain, it is always going to rub fairly hard through what ever material you use. I have tried a few differant materials now including the one you suggested Roost and this lasted my son one day at the track. Surely I am not the only one with this problem. Any suggestions????????

Thanx

I don't know if this is what Roost suggested but....bread board.

yea, sounds like sprocket is too small on the rear/front. Mayb jump up sprocket sizes on both front and back (keeping same gearing or wat eva) and giving your chain a bit more clearance...

That's the ticket....I'm pretty sure for every 1 tooth on the front you go 3 on the rear to keep the gearing the same..(or thereabouts).

Max, I like the sound of the sprocket theory. How accurate is your suggestion of 1 in 3.

Thanx

3 to 1 is a rule of thumb but if you gave me an exact tooth count I could tell you more accurately.

hi stick a 17 tooth front sprocket on, Thumpstar make a genuine 17tooth sprocket will cost about $25.00 and still use chopping board. Make sure board is put on top of old rubber chain guard , this should last a lot longer

To answer your question about sprocket theory, simply take your front sprocket size and divide it by your rear sprocket size this will give you a number. Remember that number and increase you front and rear sizes and divide them again until you get the same number as you did first. That combination will be the same ratio as your original set.
For example say you start with a 10 front and a 50 rear.
10 / 50 = .2
the following will give you the same ratio
11 / 53 = .207
12 / 60 = .2
etc, etc

vwarner said:
To answer your question about sprocket theory, simply take your front sprocket size and divide it by your rear sprocket size this will give you a number. Remember that number and increase you front and rear sizes and divide them again until you get the same number as you did first. That combination will be the same ratio as your original set.
For example say you start with a 10 front and a 50 rear.
10 / 50 = .2
the following will give you the same ratio
11 / 53 = .207
12 / 60 = .2
etc, etc

Correct ...Its simply a ration.
16:48 = 4:12 = 1:3 So in this example the ration is a perfect 1 to 3 it may not always be so simple ...Also its not always necessary some times the best is trial and error...

A for previous question >>Have you tried Nylon?? its a good material

Thanx to all for the input. I know exactly what I have to do now.
This a great forum.

Did you change the stock rear sprocket to a 37t to cause this?

Thanks all for theexcellent feedback. I know exactly what I need to do.
This is a great forum.:D

Mack said:
Did you change the stock rear sprocket to a 37t to cause this?

Mack. I did change it to a 37t, but it was still wearing away the swing arm before I did this. The changing of the rear sprocket made it a bit worse. I think I might change back to the original 47 ango for a 17 front if it is made and then use roost's excellent idea of the breadbord gaurd and see what happens. I hope this will work. Is a 17t available.

Thanx

yes 17 tooth are definately available , thumpstar make a 17 that will fit, if you can not get one i will be able to, just PM me

That will work out a pretty good ratio if your running a 12" rear wheel.

Im running 16tooth front sprocket and 37tooth rear and a yz250 chain rubber.. no problems for me

Latest posts

Back