changing gears

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtbike01

Reaction score
i just got a new 125cc dirt bike 4 gears with clutch, and some people said that when i change gears from 2nd-4th i dont need to use the clutch and only use the clutch when changing down gears. Is this true ? I dont really want to try it because im scared i'l reck the gear box if its not true. Sounds stupid but just wanted to know. Thanks in advance

Do as Sidney said, but also do a search, as there has been a few threads dealing with this question.
The search bar is in the top right of all screens.

With some bikes generally not chinese ones changing without the clutch is better for the bike but you have to get the revs rights and shift the gears at the right speed like no jamming it in there and not taking your time about it.

But if your only new to the whole thing then yea i would suggest using the clutch.

well there are some noobs out there that no matter how much they practice just don't know when the right revs are there and how to feels the gears.

These engines have constant mesh gears so basicly it wont fuck it, but the selectors may wear a little quicker.

Also when changing gears, its best just to feather the clutch.

you will where the clutch out before the gear box
practice makes perfect
i haven't used a clutch changing up EVA
but changing down is a differant story it's alot harder on the gearbox and it is near impossible to match the revs
so you should be right just practice and get used to you rbike
there a guru on this forum that suports my claim search for it

do a serch theres a few threads on this

i only ever use the clutch to take of and stop!

and as for those idiots who flat change you will always need too use the clutch otherwise it will not work

These engines have constant mesh gears so basicly it wont fuck it, but the selectors may wear a little quicker.

Also when changing gears, its best just to feather the clutch.

^^ well stuff me some people actually knows how to ride a bike,

when you want to change up gears (quickly) the best long term solution for you is to...

place some pressure on the gear lever, just a light to moderte pressue don't jump on it, then give the clutch a quick flick, don't fully disengage it, just a quick flick, when you do this it should easily slide up a gear.

if your are just cruising then back of the throttle, change, throttle on, no clutch, at least i think thats how i do it, it's kind of hard to remember how you do something you dont think about.

when going down gears i think i just blip the throttle and click gears when it feels right, it;s just a feeling you learn, your probably getting it right when the gears shift easily, you should never realy have to put that much pressure on the shifter.

and don't worry you will not wear out your clutch, i ride mine (my clutch) all the time and the plates are still fine.

Latest posts

Back