Clutch problems

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick371

Reaction score
Hey, first of all my name is nick and i own a dhz dpro 160 with a pitsterpro 155 z engine.
The bike was running fine until now.
The clutch doesnt seem to be working properly, When the bike is off and i put it in first gear i cannot roll it around freely as normal when i pull in the clutch lever it frees up abit i still cannot roll the bike around as normal, its kind of like the clutch isnt disengaging fully.
i have tried adjusting the clutch from the adjuster screw next to the clutch lever but it has no effect.
when the bike is on, in first gear with the clutch lever pulled in it doesnt stay still as it is supost to but is trying to take off it is sort of like the clutch is half disengaged.
Also sometimes when the bike is off and i put it in first gear it can roll around as if it is in neatrul.

I dont know what is wrong with the bike but it is really pissing me off i am no motorbike mechanic but am familier with a few conceps and would like help from an expert.

what oil do you use
if you use semi snthetic oil it has or is going to kill your clutch with will cost like $260-$370 to fix
and mabye damage something else to like the case or something like that
this happened to me

Last edited:
its only on its second ride in on its first my dad got me some shell oil, now on its second i used motul 20w50. Would the shell oil have been the problem ?

i havent even riden it yet with the motul oil in it because of this problem

um im not sure i remember reading on the shell oil bottle suitable for all four stroke motorcycles ill give my dad a call and ask what he got me.

if the shell oil was semi synthetic would that have made the engine jam up ?

becareful with four stroke oils
these pit bike have different engine setups than the new 150rs/250r/450/520 honda/yamaha/ktm/husky. etc..

pitbikes need minerl based oil not synthetic or semi synthetic because the clucth plates get stuck together and thats not good
good oil for these bikes are
1.castrol ativ 4t
2.motul minerl base 4 stroke one not sure what they call it
3.are some other ones that are minerl base

i have just thought of somthing mate but i dont know if it is completely correct, because i changed the oil and havent riden it since would the problem be that the new oil has not lubricated the engine yet

i have just thought of somthing mate but i dont know if it is completely correct, because i changed the oil and havent riden it since would the problem be that the new oil has not lubricated the engine yet

maybe let it warm up for a while like 5 minutes

did you drain the old oil

yeh ok mate i have figured out i have used sythetic shell oil and mineral motul oil the synthetic shell oil must have ****ed the clutch up will useing the motul oil fix it ?

does your clutch work fine when the bike is running? does it ride fine? The bike will not roll at all if the bike is in gear without the clutch pulled in, if the bike is cold it can be a fair bit harder to roll the bike even with the clutch pulled in. If the bike is fairly new the clutch plates will still be quiet grippy as the friction plates have not worn at all

i wouldn't say the oil would have stuffed anything, try letting the bike warm up fully and then riding it, my 155z needs a good warm up before riding as when i don't give it enough time to warm up i let the clutch out and it will stall straight away.

as for the other problem as synergy said its probably not in gear properly.

that dosnt sound good, sure u actually got it into 1st??

yeh mate im sure it is in first gear because it can be rolled around for a bit then it will click and it cannot be rolled anymore

that dosnt sound good, sure u actually got it into 1st??

hittin a false neutral, the bike hasnt clicked into first properly, that click and the the bike stops is when it hits 1st properly, theres nothin wrong with that bit, some bikes dont shift properly unless they are running or the gear box is moving

i just let it run for about 5 - 10 mins and when i came back the clutch was working much much better then before not 100% but a very good improvement thanks for all the help guys

I had the same problem with my bike. All i did was take the whole casing off the right side of the engine so you have access to the clutch. Remove the pressure plate and you should see some brass/copper teeth. Make sure they are all straight. One of mine was bent and it caused the same problem as you have. I used pliers to straighten it and i havnt had any problems since. Other than that, make sure your using the right oil.

Latest posts

Back