Coleman mini bike idle way to high

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R3mot3

Reaction score
I just got two of them yesterday bt200x. They worked fine at first but after about an hour of riding both me and my wife noticed they would always be pulling forward, hers at somewhat alarming speeds. Applying the brake would make it bog out of course. I see there is no idle screw ...any ideas what is happening and why? ...even better, how to fix it.

That was the first thing I tried. It’s like it either stalls from not enough to idle ...or it’s enough to engage the clutch to either stall ...or start moving. Why is something so simple such a hard thing to achieve after decades and decades of making engines, lol. FFS why is there no set screw 🤣

Not sure if this pic is any help, but it says the screw with the spring is for throttle adjustment.

Screenshot_2021-05-02 Home.png

I did a carb clean and got it into a bearable state. My one bike works fine now, but the other one stalls on take off... unless I come onto it very slowly.

another issue is that the acceleration seems almost all the way from the get go... then the engine only begins to sound more comfortable with it as I increase throttle. Is it just me or are these Coleman bt200x bikes not very nuanced in regards to acceleration ...like AT ALL. Then when I stop it idles for a few seconds then dies. Starting to regret buying these.

I did a carb clean and got it into a bearable state. My one bike works fine now, but the other one stalls on take off... unless I come onto it very slowly.

another issue is that the acceleration seems almost all the way from the get go... then the engine only begins to sound more comfortable with it as I increase throttle. Is it just me or are these Coleman bt200x bikes not very nuanced in regards to acceleration ...like AT ALL. Then when I stop it idles for a few seconds then dies. Starting to regret buying these.

NEW ...by the way 😒

Got new carbs... redid the clutch... the spring holding the clutch in isn’t even tight at all so I guess no idle is low enough to keep it from engaging. I would like 5 minutes alone with whoever is in charge of quality control at Coleman... 5 minutes. It’s absolutely ridiculous... there needs to be accountability for this kind of thing, seriously. If you’re thinking of buying a Coleman anything ...don’t do it. Buy a bicycle and throw a lawnmower engine in it. Coleman is complete JUNK!

Both my bikes are brand new and they both have the same problem. They should have NO problem... because they are new. I can’t stress this enough... Coleman mini bikes are crap. Don’t buy them. I wasted 2000$ on two piles of $#!t.

Why isn't the Dealer you purchased them from less than 30 days ago handling all of these issues?

Last edited:
Why isn't the Dealer you purchased them from less than 30 days ago handling all of these issues?

It’s a princess auto, I don’t know if they are something you have where you live. On these specific things they have a no return policy and we are told to take it up with Coleman via phone. Of course when you call Coleman you get a secretary... not a mechanic. Then you get the run around. I chalk it up to lesson learned and a severely irreparable distrust for Coleman as a company. Princess auto didn’t make a pile of junk, Coleman did. I may suggest to princess auto they stop selling them just to save everyone else the hassle I am going through.

i did take the clutch apart and cut several coils off the spring to make it super tight and a pain to get back together. That seems to have actually fixed this entire mess finally.

Princess Auto is apparently like Pep Boys and Tractor Supply in the US, they sell the bikes with no support or parts, and you're on your own from there.

Princess Auto is apparently like Pep Boys and Tractor Supply in the US, they sell the bikes with no support or parts, and you're on your own from there.

That is the case. When I did research before buying (like I’ve learned to do) I didn’t see anything that would suggest the problems that I came across at all. Overall positive reviews and stuff. But this clutch spring being so abhorrently made is not just a small defect. It literally allows the clutch to engage all the time, nothing holding it back at all. That’s messed up.

So I bought this same bike from Tractor Supply. At first, it was perfect. Now it idles just high enough with the choke off to start to roll with no one on it. If I reach down and put my finger on the idle flapper (under the filter housing) and push it toward the place where an idle screw would be (if it had one), it will idle properly. As soon as I take my finger off the plastic piece, the idle runs back up just high enough to make the bike roll.
My last ditch is going to be to pull off the gas tank and see all the parts that pivot and have springs attached to them and see if I can see what's pulling the idle just slightly away from the base position.

Just bought 1 from Tractor Supply and after driving for 30 minutes having the same issue. When not on the throttle it's idling to the point of acting like it's on half throttle. I guess I'll start tinkering with the clutch spring.

Is it possible to drill a small hole and tap it, and then use a small machine screw and a jamnut to actually adjust the idle down?

I'd be curious to see the setup in question, if someone would post some pics of theirs, and see if an idle adjust screw could be installed.

I would definitely go over the the carburetor and intake manifold if there is one and make sure it has no vacuum leaks and that all the bolts are tightened properly... remember when those minibikes are put together they are put together by someone who is in a rush to meet their quota for the day. An air leak drawing in air in between the carburetor and the head will cause the motor to Rev higher without being able to control it

I am have the very same issue. Brand new bike. Was running fine for about 2 hours. Idle was good and clutch would disengage at idle. Now it does not. Pulled the carb, clean as a whistle and gaskets are good. engine is idling over 2700 rpm’s. Not sure why. That explains why the idler clutch is engaging. From what I found the engine should idle around 1700 +/- 150. I’m wondering if the quality control on these cheap carbs is way off.

I am have the very same issue. Brand new bike. Was running fine for about 2 hours. Idle was good and clutch would disengage at idle. Now it does not. Pulled the carb, clean as a whistle and gaskets are good. engine is idling over 2700 rpm’s. Not sure why. That explains why the idler clutch is engaging. From what I found the engine should idle around 1700 +/- 150. I’m wondering if the quality control on these cheap carbs is way off.

I pulled my carb. It was spotless. Unfortunately I just decided to go back to Tractor Supply and swap it out. They had sold the 6 remaining units already. I got a full refund and I'm glad. You shouldn't have to diagnose a major flaw from the factory. The manager told me over half the bikes were coming back.

@james.long48 agree that we shouldn’t have to diagnose stuff that came from the factory. But alas, I did anyway.

discovered that my RPM meter was set up
For the wrong engine. Got that taken care of and found my RPM’s on the motor were spot on. She is idling right under the recommended 1700 RPMs. So with that out of the way, I ruled the carb. So carb is good and engine is running at peak. Left only the idler clutch pack. Since it was engaging with the engine at proper idle and not when off, that left only the older clutch spring as the culprit. Pulled it apart and removed about 3-4 rings of the spring. Put her back together and she works perfectly.

So in my case, after 2 hours of riding the spring was too loose. I suspect this is the cause of many others issue as well. Wondering if it’s simple crappy metallurgy or bad manufacturing of that spring?!

Latest posts

Back