Complete YX160 clutch install guide???

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHXrider

Reaction score
Hey downunda! Jonathan from Ottawa Canada.

Rebuilding my YX 160, a few questions, wondering if anyone can shed some light

1. How the **** does the standard pit bike clutch work? cannot understand it conceptually. When the push rod pushes against the clutch, does this not cause the friction plates to mesh and engage the motor? but that action happens when the clutch is Pulled in (engaged).

2. How tight are the 4 bolts that hold down the springs supposed to be? are there any torque specs for this? any links to resources or video would be stellar.

Cheers!!!

no other way around, when the push rod thing presses on the clutch it takes the spring tension off the friction plates and allows the plates to slip, so when the plates are slipping the outer clutch basket cannot rotate, when ya let the clutch go the spings push the plates assembly back togther and the stop slipping and transfer the power to the outer basket which the n spins the gearbox,

Im not the greatest at explaining things but im sure you'll get a better reply from someone else,

as for how tight, no idea i just did mine up as tight as i could

Yeah, that's the theory, but have a look at the clutch with the springs tightened up, the push rod pushing on the push plate (one with bearing) should just create more friction. I'm not seeing the mechanics of how the plates are seperated by the push rod mechanism in these pit bikes. I'm baffled. I could install it, it would probably work, but I'd like to know how for future troubleshooting issues.

Looking at a 2 stroker mx bike clutch makes sense because the rod is pushing through from the other side of the whole clutch hub therefore seperating the plates, the springs providing tension to bring everything back nice and tight and provide friction again.

Latest posts

Back