CRF230L/TT-R230a

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Packie

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a CRF230l or a TTR230a

I've heard many things about these two bikes, but it doesn't help that the opinions were all over the place.

I'm after something that's smaller than most bikes, I can ride a WR250 no problem I just didn't feel comfortable with the size of it. Now I've heard that both the CRF and TTR 230's are bulletproof, easy to maintain and easy to ride.
I live on the Sunshine Coast so most of my riding will be done in 60-80 km/h zones, and some decent trail riding but it will never be anything brutal, hard, or very often. Take speed/acceleration out of the equation, not bothered how fast I can go.

How would these bikes fair up, is there something else I should be looking at? I'm open to suggestions as I'm still a few months away from actually buying a bike.

I'm looking at getting a CRF230l or a TTR230a

I've heard many things about these two bikes, but it doesn't help that the opinions were all over the place.

I'm after something that's smaller than most bikes, I can ride a WR250 no problem I just didn't feel comfortable with the size of it. Now I've heard that both the CRF and TTR 230's are bulletproof, easy to maintain and easy to ride.
I live on the Sunshine Coast so most of my riding will be done in 60-80 km/h zones, and some decent trail riding but it will never be anything brutal, hard, or very often. Take speed/acceleration out of the equation, not bothered how fast I can go.

How would these bikes fair up, is there something else I should be looking at? I'm open to suggestions as I'm still a few months away from actually buying a bike.

Hey Bud,

What's your riding ability?

I'm asking that as the 230's are very much an AG style bike. They are reliable as all hell but you sacrifice power/handling.

If you want something to grow into these are not the bikes for you. If you are happy just putting around and getting out on the trails every now and again then something like these are perfect.

You can use a lowering link to drop something like a WR250 down to make it easier to handle.

Doesn't really matter which one you go. I would prefer the Honda but that's just on personal taste.

Hey Packie

The Honda seems to be the "slightly" better bike in the stats department, and the warranty seems to be longer too. I would buy the Honda too.

But they are both very heavy bikes, nearly 20kg's more than their 250 counterparts. Can I ask what your attraction is with this model of bike?

Oh and what part of the coast are you from?

I mainly like the seat height, it's smaller than the 250 and yeah I know I could lower one as well, but also despite the speed it can't do, I like that it's reliable and less maintenance. I'm just not sure I'd be too bothered with the speed.

I might go have a look at both the TTR-230 and CRF230 and see just how much better it feels than say a WR250.

Hey mate.
I wouldnt be going with a 230cc ag bike. If you like the seat height of those bikes you might want to look at a Crf150r or something along the lines of a smaller motorcross bike. If you start doing trails and bush riding you will soon find that it is pretty low on power and also the suspension wont work all that well. Great bike for riding around a farm but thats about it unfortunately.

I was looking into CRF150's previously but I'm after something registered.

What are the effects of lowering say a WR250r or CRF250l? Positive and negative

Wr250r is pretty low from memory. Well much lower then the WR450.
If you lower it with a proper lowering link it wont really affect anything. However if you loosen off the spring to lower it then you run into the problem of not as much travel in the rear shock.
I know that the wr250r has been made so you can go ride for around 5,000kms before each service. Unsure about the Crf250l so cant really say sorry.

I rode my friends WR250r
I could put my feet on the ground, not flat footed but not tip toeing either
I'd like to ride a lowered WR to see how it feels compared to that
5,000km's doesn't seem to bad either

I know people will say you only need to have your tip toes on the ground for dirt bikes but I just wasn't comfortable with it

**** no mate, being comfortable is king inmo. What works for you might not work for others. But in saying that if your out on a trail and your bike falls on you, I'd rather it weigh as little as possible. Also are the aftermarket parts easily available for the 230's like they are 250's? There's a mob in Kaliegh drive Maroochydore that can set up your suspension perfect for you too which ever way you go.

Well said mate, being comfortable is key for me when buying a bike

The extra weight bothers me a little bit. When I rode my mates WR I found it was a lot of fun in a straight line, but I wouldn't have hit the trails on it. I have next to NO experience whatsoever with trail riding, so I like the 230 for it's more manageable power. Also when I tried to use the kickstand on the WR it flipped back and I almost dropped the bike, that's the main thing about height that I do not like. If it starts to come down I have trouble trying to put my foot down and keep it up, especially if I can't touch the ground properly. I feel lowering a WR could immediately solve that problem.

I've heard the CRF230l's have quite a large market for parts, not sure about the TTR though.
I had a 1982 Suzuki TS185 for a few months, which had awesome height. Big enough to be fun, but not high enough that I was off the ground. Could have my feet planted flat on the ground, which is the way I like. Although I sold that, just too much money and time to register :(

I was even thinking of doing a dirt-bob build. Old 250 Virago or something cheap. Seems a little unnecessary but man that would be fun to build and ride.

Well mate, I think you would find that your skill/fearlessness level would dramatically improve during/after each time you went out, and to be honest would find the 230, whilst still fun a bit sedate and dull witted. There's a long line of testimonies here in the thousands of threads of guys buying 110 and 125 bikes because they were "fresh" to the sport only to realise 6 months later they should of bought the bigger cc variant.

In saying that, if your absolutely certain the 230 is for you then by all means buy it mate, she'll be a solid work horse for you. But if it's your fear of going too fast/crashing that's promted you to buy it then believe me when I say go the WR or Crf250 because your fear will soon become thrill and kick yourself for not buying the 250's! :grinning-smiley-003

That's what I've always heard, same thing with slant bikes. People buy a 250/300 then realise a few months later they should've gotten a 600.

I've actually never ridden the 230, so I might go and try the CRF, TTR and WR to see which I like best. I really want to hop on a lowered WR250 or CRF250 as well to see how it feels compared to an unmodified one. Make sure I test it all out before I go ahead and buy something. I still have a few months before I have the money anyway so I have time to research :)

Speed's good, but to me thrashing a bike around a trail even at slower speeds and knowing I can jump on the bike to ride back home no problem is what appeals to me with the 230's.

It's like my Postie, you twist the throttle full bull, and go absolutely nowhere, but you FEEL like you're going 200. Also I'm not sure I'd be going dirt riding often enough to justify having a big, bold trail bike. I guess having a 250 would be better on the roads as well.

Also I haven't said it yet, but thank you all for the replies and helping me out, you've all been really respectful about this. Love the work fellas.

In all reality both bikes wont be much chop out on the trail and given you live on the sunny coast no doubt Glasshouse and Kennillworth will be in the places you ride and once you come to some remotely tecnical terrain in there and it will soon show and then touching the ground and weight will be the least of your problems. Also if you progress quickly then you will kick your self for not getting something better

If your worried about height get the suspension lowered by a work shop and set up for you, lowering links have a negative effect on handling and alot of people remove them shortly after because of this

DRZ400 is probably the best all round bike out since honda stopped making the XR's
Yes they are heavy and dont turn that quick but are a verry predictable bike that will go all day and then some for years if you look after it, not many bikes out there with 6k service intervals and still retain factory warranty. Can lug away on the road and still be fun on the the trails.

All the above is why i brought the DRZ over a 500exc.

You guys are slowly turning me away from the ttr and crf ! Not that in complaining hahaha. I've noticed drz's are decently priced for a second hand one in good nick. I need to jump on a crf and drz give them a test.

I need to jump on a crf and drz give them a test.

Thats what you need to do as in the end its your bike and if your happy on a 230 its all that counts realy.
I still wish i brought a 500exc but i like the fact i dont need to service it just bacause i started it in comparison to the DRZ.

DRZ will run rings around both those choices you started with. Only down fall over them in my honnest opinion is it will over heat if your stuck in traffic/snotty hill climb/sand/mud holes etc but fit a thermo fan and you will be sweet

Only problem with DRZ's in the bush is that they are really heavy after you riding for a while.

Have you considered a Honda 250x? Can be fully regoed. Much light and nimble with great power and something good to grow into. I had mine for 10 years and never let me down. Was a great bike.

Weight is a concern of mine. And a hnda 250x? Or XR250, I never even thought of either those bikes.

90% or road legal bikes are going to be pretty damn heavy. You can get away with around 110kgs but that's near the lightest you'll get in a 4 stroke. The xr250s are bullet proof. Haven't seen any bike other then a drz400 come close to being as reliable.

Latest posts

Back