CRF50 ticking noise help

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesyo7

Reaction score
Hey guys iv got a 2012 crf50. just your standard mods (bar kit, springs etc)
i dont thrash it and it hasn't even been jumped. mostly just used it to get around to mates houses and stuff.

anyway a very loud ticking noise seems to have developed in the head. Its worrying because i have no idea what it is, also the bike seems to rev a lot louder since this started happening but that could just be me being paranoid.

If nobody has any straight up explanations or ideas as to what this could be ill post a video of the sound. I want to know if the bike is right to keep riding or if i need to take it to a shop straight away (and/or something i can fix myself)

Cheers

Hey guys iv got a 2012 crf50. just your standard mods (bar kit, springs etc)
i dont thrash it and it hasn't even been jumped. mostly just used it to get around to mates houses and stuff.

anyway a very loud ticking noise seems to have developed in the head. Its worrying because i have no idea what it is, also the bike seems to rev a lot louder since this started happening but that could just be me being paranoid.

If nobody has any straight up explanations or ideas as to what this could be ill post a video of the sound. I want to know if the bike is right to keep riding or if i need to take it to a shop straight away (and/or something i can fix myself)

Cheers

Check your valves. They might be too loose I believe.

alright thanks dude, ill open it up and check them out and clearences

ok so i checked my valves and everything was fine in that department. im starting to think the sound may be coming from the flywheel or box area. but its just so hard to tell.
iv filmed a small clip of it running in the hope somebody might have some idea as to where i check next.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/VeCwpV0DBlc

To me it sounds like valve clearances are way out .... what do you have them set at ?

but.. if they are at .003 they would not be tapping..
is your exhaust header leaking? run your bike and put the back of your hand around the exhaust and see if you can feel a leak (without burning your self it hurts.... alot)

thats a wee bit tight laddy
.004 inlet and .006 exhaust should do

Yikes. Well ill be changing that today then.
As for the exhaust it's definitely not leaking.
What is really doing my head it is the bike is pretty much new. I bought it off a guy about 2 months ago who still had the original tank of fuel in it.

Having a similar

but.. if they are at .003 they would not be tapping..
is your exhaust header leaking? run your bike and put the back of your hand around the exhaust and see if you can feel a leak (without burning your self it hurts.... alot)

Just curious. Did you ever get this resolved? If so what did you determine?

Latest posts

Back