CRF50 to CRF70 frame swap?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qwerty1234

Reaction score
I have a Dpro 160, a friend has the 140. Definitely the 140/CRF70 frame is a much better choice, the 160 is crazy fun because its so twitchy, but it is a lot harder to climb hills with

I've been looking into doing a frame swap with new parts. What exactly would I need?
I imagine I need the CRF70 frame from DHZ, along with new tank, seat and plastics. What about the rest though?

- Swingarm, bolt/bearing dimensions the same? what about swingarm length?
- Front end, I imagine it'll bolt up just fine but what about the fork length?
- Shock length. Would this be an issue?
- Exhaust, will it correctly clear the frame and line up with the mounting points?
- Brakes. I imagine mounting points and hose length are adequate
- Anything else?

I guess another question is how does the 160 perform in the CRF70 frame? I find it very punchy in the CRF50 frame, easily pulls power wheelies in 2nd and 3rd, but thats part of the problem. I'd like the longer wider frame for stability, but not to tame it down so much that its no longer a wild ride

but what u have said there is what mini bikes is all about it ment to be a wild n twitchy ride, 10 10, or 12 10 wheels. if u go bigger then that n u make it a mid size like every1 is doing these days u might as well buy a full size bike IMO
mini bikes have been wrecked by every1 going mid size cos they dont have the skill/balls to ride a true mini bike

Last edited:
I hear ya mate, I've got a 50 style 160 and being 187cm tall, it some times feels like I'm riding a clown bike. But I don't really think the 70 style is much bigger. I've got mates with em and klx styles and apart from being a little wider with their plastics, I think they would be lucky to be two inches longer?

Mine felt a little short so I got longer front shocks and changed to an aftermarket swing arm that has a slightly closer shock mount thus increasing the hight again. But in doin this I've compromised high speed ability and like you say hill climb ability.
Maybe trying a longer swing arm and maybe even lowering your forks a little in the triples first before you go to all the expense with the swap over. I think that answers your power question also. There's a few more experienced MR members here that could answer you bolt size questions better than I if you decide to go down that path.

At the end of the day they still are only little bikes and whilst it's fun to try the impossible with them, they're still limited on there capability's.

Here's all three styles together. Not a great comparison but you get the picture

Last edited:
I hear ya mate, I've got a 50 style 160 and being 187cm tall, it some times feels like I'm riding a clown bike. But I don't really think the 70 style is much bigger. I've got mates with em and klx styles and apart from being a little wider with their plastics, I think they would be lucky to be two inches longer?

Mine felt a little short so I got longer front shocks and changed to an aftermarket swing arm that has a slightly closer shock mount thus increasing the hight again. But in doin this I've compromised high speed ability and like you say hill climb ability.
Maybe trying a longer swing arm and maybe even lowering your forks a little in the triples first before you go to all the expense with the swap over. I think that answers your power question also. There's a few more experienced MR members here that could answer you bolt size questions better than I if you decide to go down that path.

At the end of the day they still are only little bikes and whilst it's fun to try the impossible with them, they're still limited on there capability's.

Here's all three styles together. Not a great comparison but you get the picture

Friend has the 140 which ive ridden, its wider and slightly lower to the ground (which is where im not sure if the shock will fit correctly ) but it is also definitely longer which makes it a lot more stable on hill climbs.
I take these bikes on eveything from flats to serious gnarly big bike tracks, just because they are ludicrous. I already have full size bikes but the pitties are so much less hassle and still as much fun

Heres a vid, cant see much cause im still tweaking the camera mount, but believe me these are steep. Has a bit of both bikes, the 140 tractors better than the 160 cause the latter is always trying to flip :)

[YOUTUBE]umg5v4QYFf8[/YOUTUBE]

The 160 is a hell of a lot more fun, the 2 engines arent even comparable, the 140 chugs like a slug while the 160 has to rev like an animal with very little rotating mass. But its more work to muscle around cause you are fighting to keep the frame stable

Latest posts

Back