Daytona 125 getting noisey after oil change

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GROMMER

Reaction score
I bought a motovert pro 2nd hand and i rode it around my place - sounded good. Then i changed oil and as soon as i started it up its made a ticking sound... Are Daytonas noisey engines? Or valves?
I went to my mates house and he started his pit pro and it didnt have the same sound...

I wouldn't run it until you can confirm you have oil flowing. From memory those daytona 125s have a seperate oil filter on the clutch case (underneath the smaller round cover plate on the clutch) . Did you swap or take out the oil filter? If so make sure it is not put in backwards as this will block flow if installed the wrong way. How i normally check oil is pumping pull the spark plug out, remove the cover on the clutch side of the head and crank it over by hand, if you dont get oil spitting out within a few pumps, do not run it until you do (i do this after i have opened up an engine before i run it for piece of mind.
If you have oil pumping, did you happen to open the wrong bolt when draining your oil, there are 2 underneath the engine, one one the clutch side and one on the other side. The clutch side one is your drain plug, the one on the other side is actually holding your timing chain tensioner in place. If you did open it up, the noise you are probably hearing is your timing chain slapping around because the tensioner isnt actually taking up the slack. You need to rectify before you run it.

old oil was pretty thick there was some shavings stuck to the magnetic sump plug..
Confirms with a turn over that oil is flowing through the filter and after a while the oil cooler even gets warm so its definitely flowing. Filter was replaced on oil change. There is a bash plate on it and covers the tensioner bolt so couldnt touch it... I have been told that even though they sound "tickey" they still keep going.. i listened to my mates pit pro.. and it sounded better than mine.. i think ill have to check valves

Last edited:
yeah check valves, .003"-.08mm inlet and .004-.10mm exhaust, if they are fine then could possibly just be the thickness of the old oil masking/dulling the rocker noise a bit.
All my engine's are a bit noisier in the rockers/tappets after fresh oil been put in.

Good point, what oil are you running? Thinner oil will make it louder. But shouldn't be too much louder than usual. Take care of that motor, those daytona 125s were a really good thing, a jap quality chinese motor, but spare parts are becoming scare for them.

Didnt turn out to be any of that... Did another oil change and found my answer.. Oil filter not in properly

received_10159266522825243.jpeg

Latest posts

Back