DHZ Outlaw 160R throttle stuck

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad28b

Reaction score
Howdy

I bought a new helmet camera today and I took it out for a quick test, and 3 mins in the throttle on my DHZ stuck on.

Im about to go and have a crack at fixing it but I just want to know where to start and what to look for. If I wind the throttle on, it doesn't come back, it just goes sloppy. Like a spring is gone or something.

I think maybe the mud I was in last weekend has jammed up the throttle cable, so where would i start?

If you want to see the video its here (watch in 1080p). I crapped myself when it happened, its about 3:17 where it sticks.

YouTube - DHZ Outlaw 160R pit bike throttle gets stuck

To the fun police, I rarely (actually never) ride on the road, the only reason I did today was just to test the camera. I think it was god punishing me lol.

Thanks for the replies, I've checked everywhere I can see for mud, and I can't see any. But I haven't taken anything apart yet.

I haven't lubed it either and I also haven't touched the carby, the bikes only a few weeks old I've done nothing to it yet except LOCTITE some bolts.

What kind of lube should I use and what parts should I actually lube?

Cheers

Have you tried lubing up the bars under the throttle?

Hey mate nah I haven't lubed anything. I don't think its that though cause if I disconnect the cable the throttle handle turns back and forth very easily with no resistance. Im pretty sure its the cable.

I just bought some lube from Supercheap so im going out to try lubing the cable now

I lubed it up, but same problem.

I now don't think its the cable, because I can move the throttle cable both ways nice and freely within the outer shield, it doesn't feel like its getting stuck.

It feels to me like a spring (somewhere) isn't working. What actually pulls the throttle back when you release it? Is it a spring inside the throttle handle, or inside the carby?

I just took the tank off so I could get the the carby. When I pull the throttle cable out of the carby, it doesn't go back in, it just stays out. I have made a quick 15 second video to show you what I mean:

YouTube - Carby

The cable goes down into your carby slide, between your slide and the top screw cap on your carb is a spring, thats what pulls the cable back.

it looks like your outer cable is moving not your inner? in that movie are you turning the throttle or simply using your hand?

Your right mate when I grab hold of the outer cable, and pull it up from the Carby with my hand (not the throttle), its both the outer cable and the inner cable that come up both at the same time. That outer cable should just slide over the inner cable when I pull it up shouldn't it? Does that mean the cable is the problem?

Cheers

I know nothing about carbys so im just looking at some diagrams and youtube videos.

Im wondering if it would be possible that my throttle cable might have popped out of the slide? Does that happen? Cause without opening it up, from how it feels, it feels like that might have happened.

I think dunny29er was on the money earlier. He mentioned to check the slide to make sure mud isn't blocking it. Back then though I didn't know what a slide was lol

After looking at some diagrams I just took the carby off and I can see that the slide is stuck in the fully open position (I assume) and it won't budge. Im doing some more research before i attempt to fix it.

Thanks for all your help guys I have fixed it. Yeeee haa im back!

It was grit in the carby stopping the slider from sliding. I pulled it all apart and cleaned it in fuel and put it back together and now its perfect again.

The main cause of this is having space around where the cable meets the throttle cap. Air and dirt both get sucked into this gap, and enters the fuel mixture and eventually ending up either in your engine, sitting in the bottom of your carb or just clogging up your carby slide.

yep so the way to fix it its to unscrew the top cap of your carby (where the cable goes in) pull out the slide with the cable still attached to it (dont screw anything up like your needle position).

Get a clean rag and wip the slide down as-well as inside the carby where the slide goes. Once you have it all cleaned up get some normal engine oil (not anything too thick) dip your finger into the oil (make sure your hands are clean) and rub it all around the slide surface and in the carby, but not too much.

Reinstall the slide and screw the cap back on that should fix it and give the throttle a few flicks. This should also make your throttle turn a-hell of a lot easier.

I took it for its first ride today after fixing the stuck slide in the carby, and the throttle is definately fixed (its not sticking anymore) but now i've now got a new problem. It runs like shit. At low revs its fine, but as soon as I give it a bit, it bogs down and coughs and splutters.

Before I took the carby off last weekend, it was running perfectly. All I did with the carby was take it apart and clean it in a bucket of fuel and put it back together. As far as I know I didn't change or adjust anything, unless it was accidental. I know bugger all about carby, thats the first time I ever opened one, so its possibly i've stuffed something.

I put a video here to show you how it sounds, what would be the most likely problem? It sounds like a mixture problem but too much or not enough of what (ie air/fuel) im not sure, and what do I adjust to fix it? It could also be an air leak but i put the carby back on nice and tight and took care not to damage the gasket/seal thing.

Video: YouTube - Carby problems - coughing and spluttering

Cheers guys

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back