dpro 160 idle issue

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny01

Reaction score
Hi guys,

i've just purchased my first pitbike, i put it all together today and started the engine, but for some reason it wouldn't idle. if i just added a tiny bit of throttle it'd hold that rpm really well and it sounded very smooth. i reved the engine a bit and it was all really smooth, the only issue is that it doesn't idle.

i sat there holding the throttle open a bit for about 5 minutes, then i let it off and it idled for about 30 secs then konked out. after that i dropped the factory oil and put some new oil in.

do i have a problem or will it be fine after the engine gets run in a bit more? also should i adjust the idle screw? if so which way do i turn it to bring the rpms up a bit to get it to idle?

Thanks!

ps: sorry for such a noob question, i've searched around the forum, but there seems to be some contradicting advice.

Turn the idle screw clockwise to raise the rev, leave it a little higher instead of a slow idle as it helps with small deadspots when accelerating from nothing to flat.

ok i adjusted the idle valve, now its idling fine with the choke on, but as soon as i turn the choke off it splutters and dies. i took it for a small ride with the choke on and it was running sweet, does this mean it's running to lean at the moment?

all good, adjusted the other valve, everythings running sweet as

Hey Danny I am having the exact same issue! which "other valve" did you adjust??

the "other valve" i referred to was the mixture screw.

i used this method to get my bike running right, try to follow the same steps and see if it works for you

-turn mixture screw all the way in
-turn mixture screw 1.5 turns out
-start bike and let the engine warm up
-turn idle screw up to get a highish idle speed
-adjust mixture screw either in or out and listen for when you get the fastest/smoothest idle, then leave the screw at that point
-re-adjust your idle screw to make it idle a bit lower

if you've done all that and it's still not running sweet, i'd be doing the valve clearances (which you should have already done anyway). also check that your exhaust is secured tightly to the head and you have no air leaks. if you've done all that and it's still not idling properly i'd look at swapping the pilot jet, or just biting the bullet and getting an oko 26mm.

Latest posts

Back