Driving Z50s on the road?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merc-blue

Reaction score
G'day guys.
Im new here and very excited.
I have always been fond of Z50s but never had any where to ride one.

I recently stumbled onto a mate with a old Z50 in a shed and i noticed it had a compliance plate. his has a bent chassis from where it was run over by a jeep, but thats another story.

The fact there are frames with compliance plates does that mean i could restore a old Z50 ensure it is in good working order get a roadworthy and register it as a road bike and ride it to the shops to get milk?

Very excited at this prospect!

Yeah compliance plates can be registered ay,

Ive been riding mine for years now (i dont drive a car much anymore) and we just finished building another road registered bike this month...

this one is for my brother we built from the ground up, it got passed for rego on saturday:D

The red one is my daily rider.

FRAMEBARE.jpg

07042008075.jpg

pauls.jpg

Last edited:
what sort of engines do you's run in them?
and whats the top speed on them?
do you have to have lisence to ride them on the road?
can you only ride in certain area's or can you ride anywhere? (apart from freeways)
it would be so sweet to ride one of them around the streets legally i want one lol

Car license needed (some states dont allow P's),

Legally for a moped rego they must be 49cc Engine size, but theres ways around that, Mines 88cc kit on it, and my brothers is 70cc,

Depending on gearing but 45-80km/h,

When they are registered you must ride them like a normal motorbike, full road rule fines apply, swerving etc all will get ya busted if caught,

Rego is = $200 year
Fuel = $3
The look on the drivers face when you drag them from the stoplights = PRICELESS

to find a good condition z50 is fair hard there are some real shit ones going around but the real good originals are hard to get.

There are 5 fully restored ones for sale ATM, all in different states,

A decent one will set ya back $2000-$3500

yer that 1 seems ok need a bit of cleening up thow
are the new replicas of the z50s on ebay regiterable because thats the only reason i would use it for

nah the z50 replicas on ebay are not registrable there were replicas made a few years ago with compliance so they could be registered.

I saw a genuine Z50 on the road today, its actually pretty funny watching someone cruise down the road on one.

nah the z50 replicas on ebay are not registrable there were replicas made a few years ago with compliance so they could be registered.

Hey Guys I am also new to this site it is sweet.

I bought a new one of the replicas a few years ago for $1800 the complianced ones had to have front disk brakes and hydrolic forks. The lights electrics guards are of lesser quality than genuine honda but the rest seems ok! I had it registered with the stock 50cc engine just to run down to the shops on and it was great. but I let it run out of rego Doh!, it now has a 110cc and is much better (Don't get embaraced doing 20kph up a steep hill LOL!) but I havn't re registered it yet

I am thinking about buying somthing like this

HONDA 1995 Z50 J Z50J MONKEY MINITRAIL 12V CDI 4sp man - eBay, Classic, Vintage Parts, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 08-May-08 16:27:48 AEST)

and using the replica frame it would not be registered as a honda but would be a sweet ride, I will post some pics of mine tonight if i get a chance.

Here's my little Monkey. I ride it thru Brisbane peak hour most days. She does 80km/h and is great fun to ride.

DSC03480.jpg

Latest posts

Back