Electrical Problems / Fault finding

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbikenutter

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone out there can me help with starting a Ducar 125cc kickstart only bike my son bought.
Ive managed to get hold of 6 different wiring diagrams & worked out which one suits the bike.
But the real question is if I can check if the parts are actually working properly.
I have changed out 5 CDI boxes (5 pin green connector), swapped out 3 coil plates, 3 spark plug coils, 2 New NGK spark plugs & Checked the kill switch works properly.
But still cannot get spark at the plug.
Can anyone tell me how to check that the parts are working?
Assuming that a multimeter will be usefull.
Which settings will give a reading for which parts & what are the readings.
Help!!!!
I dont want to have to spend days at a spareparts seller only to fin dout I had the parts.

hi, sorry to hear the ur boys bike is having problems, is the bike new or did you buy it second hand?
If it's new take it back and let them deal with it, if it's second hand, try and find out if anything has been modified on the bike before your son bought it.
When you say you can't get spark, by that do you mean it wont start or that you have checked the plug out of the bike?
I ask this cause it might be getting spark, just having some fuel issues.
And another thing is to make sure it's in neutral, sounds stupid I know but ppl sometimes forget that most china bikes won't start in gear even with the clutch in...

2nd hand bike.
Wouldnt start so we took the plug out, earthed it, then tried again.
No spark.
Thats when we started collecting a box full of parts & I started looking for wiring diagrams.

I can't help much I'm afraid, if it was mine I would just get the multi-meter out and start checking every wire, not all the five wires are needed from the cdi.
without going and checking I can't tell you which ones are not needed. Try this link, it has a good simple wiring diagram in it...
http://www.miniriders.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10111

All the wires go to the right places.
Its just trying 2 get the right results from the multimeter on each wire.
DCV(volts), DCA(amps) or even AC(volts).
Ive got a copy of the circuit & it is the 1 that is used.
Problem is that unless I can get some idea of what is suposed to happen with each wire I will probably end up at an Atuo Electrician paying heaps 2 get a simple problem fixed.

Might just leave it up on the board & see if some1 can answer the question of,

How to check each wire/component 2 see if it works or not????

ok, no spark u say.

what i can think of is

- Ground , have you got a ground wire , if so is it grounded properly ( check between that wire and ground with a mulitmeter.

- Wiring , again check for crap connections , as you have said you have swapped out many electrical parts , but if you aint getting the signal you wont get a spark.

- Has the magneto got all the magnets or still got magnetism ? although this sounds dumb it could be the result of no power coming out of the motor.

- last but not least :p do you have your key switch or switch on ?

anyways all the best mate.

oh heres something I just thought of. I have put a hidden kill switchs on both my kids bikes so they cant just pissoff on them when they get the urge. maybe there is 1 on there somewhere. maybe not but worth a look..

Had the complete assembly off the bike.
No extra switches.
Cleaned up all earth connections & on reassembly checked again with multimeter.
Magneto unit has the 4 shoe segments even & still showing good magnetism.
As the kill switch operates as a dead short when stopping the engine. disconnecting it completely is like setting it in run position.(also tried in both positions - same result)
Had some success with multi-meter on magneto/coil(s). I get some results so there is life there.
As for CDI & Spark plug coil, I'm guessing.
I need to find out how to test them or get results when kicking it over.

Maybe this is the problem ?

dick.jpg

So you've got no spark? Maybe get a spark plug tester to be 100% sure, unless you've tried other spark plugs dont worry about it. I think its better off if you just take it to the mechanic, it wont cost you THAT much but atleast you know your bike is in safe hands. You never know what your capable of.

Ive had problems with my killswitch before, it satyed off and even though i flicked it up it still wasnt working, a stupid wire had come off ao i just put it back.

oh heres something I just thought of. I have put a hidden kill switchs on both my kids bikes so they cant just pissoff on them when they get the urge. maybe there is 1 on there somewhere. maybe not but worth a look..

How long have you had the kids fooled by this scam, how do you get the bikes out without them watching? If your kids are anything like mine you will need a key (or some type of eletronic gadget) before long.

Sons 15yrs & it lives in a locked shed.
So it looks loke its off to the auto electrician then.
probably better than continuing to stuff around with it.

How long have you had the kids fooled by this scam, how do you get the bikes out without them watching? If your kids are anything like mine you will need a key (or some type of electronic gadget) before long.

I have 1 strapped to my youngest boys CDI with cable ties, I just flick the switch while he is kickin it over.
The other 1 is on my 15yr olds AGB-29, being a twin spar frame. I have mounted a toggle switch I got from supercheap on the inside of the frame up near the petcock, so I just pretend I'm making sure the fuels on. But I think he knows.
The click the switch makes is a bit of a give away.

Also a lot of bikes have been pinched from our area lately, Just started them and ridden off. so its also a bit of a deterrent if they cant kick it over straight away.

Also the chain and padlock help ....!! lol

I know of ppl who have tried every type of hidden switch but the best deterant is a really good BIG chain & lock.
Connected to a dyna-bolted loop in the floor of my locked & alarmed garage.
Even the retailer have been trying to stop thiefs but you only stop the oportunist type.
If they want it they will find a way.
Even know of Big bikes that have been pinched.
Just make it really difficult & they usually give up. If not you probably couldn't have stopped the theft anyway.

Chain and lock probably works ok if you got no tools in the gararge, my shed has massive bolt cutters, angle grinders, and cutting tools of every description laying around everywhere. A crazy large dog would be the best for anti theft.

I was just amused by the hidden swich to stop the kids riding around when you are not home. When I was a kid i had a old pull start minibike and I could never start it, one day i was home from school sick and some kid from up the road broke into the garage and tried to steal it, I walked out and caught him in the garage trying to start the thing, he made up some bullshit story and pissed off. I am now wondering if dad had a hidden swich on our bike because he always seemed to be able to start it for us without too much trouble.

yer hidden kill switches are the easiest but what if you hadnt caught him. given a bit of time he could have walked it out the gate or with some help over/through the fence.
Still the chains & locks slow them down.
Mate had a CR250 on road. No key only a kill switch.
G8 honda thinking there. NOT!!!
We installed a key switch, then he sold it.
Next owner had it pinched. Forgot to chain it.
When found they had just bypassed the key switch.
A big dog, good alarm & lots of locks.
Slow them down or at least they have to make heaps of noise to nick it.
Also dont advertise were you keep it.
Everyone who has had one stolen would say "if only Id kept my mouth shut about where I lived or how I stored it".

Think I found my problem.
Chinese connections.
Crimped on the insulation not on the core wire.
Soldering connection on now.
Then lets see what happens.
thanks for help

Latest posts

Back