Essential Riding Gear?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would get a cheeper pair of full size boots. becasue you young and still growing there is not to much point it buy a $600 pair of alpinestars to grow out of them. i run a $200 pair of axo boots. i find they provide great support and protect my ankels / shins and i have had them for two years now, Plenty of ride time on them on both my bikes ( big bike and mini )

i also think pants are a must. i find especially on a mini that you get a sore ass ( monkey butt ) in jeans so get a pair of pants normally about $120

Yer my boots are pretty chunky,, & they're fine! this is all the gear i wear Fox Comp 5 boots for $200,, (thats what i got them for anyways)...& i got Fox 180 pants for i think it was $130, helmet, goggles, gloves & i just wear a old thick jumper until i get hot & then wear a shirt!
also if you get boots get a pair of long socks that go up to your thighs so your knee pad straps dont rub on the back of your legs!:p

Thanks,, Corey. ;)

since i started riding again i have worn two pairs of full size boots both old and borrowed from mates... neither pair fit me properly... one is nearly 4 sizes above my size BUT once strapped into them they still feel solid and also since i tend to catch my feet in all sorts of things like ruts, roots, loose dirt , let alone planting it when i get out of shape they have saved my ankle foot toes and shins too many times to count... so whether you get second handies out of ttrading post or friends or here, from my time behind the bars there isnt a better investment (besides a bike and helmet derrrrr lol). also keep in mind i'm 5'10 wearing size 14 boots on a vert 125 frame without a tall seat foam and i wear em without issues. (tho now i have other 2nd hand boots size 12 that are still too big but much better :D)

now 50/50's i'm not bagging, i know guys who swear by em (for miniriding) and have wicked shin and knee guards that together provide almost the same protection as full size boots.

but i have a 4 inch pin in my ankle from it being broken in boots that simply didnt protect my ankle from moving that way. so protection wise full size boots have a small edge on 50/50s so it is definitly worth trying to get use to them.
Of course as riders we all know if you ride you will get hurt at some point. so as always whether its dirt or road its up to you the risks you take with the gear you wear.

alright, thanks everyone for helping out.
corey, do you know whether you can still get your boots around that mark cause from what I've heard that is really cheap for some fox boots.
I will have a look around and see what I like.
Since I am not riding on tracks or doing mx or anything, is it still necessary to wear boots?
If stones and stuff fly into your shin is it worth spending over $200 to prevent that from injuring you?

Thanks, Mitch.

Last edited:
ive had some pretty big sticks flick up and hit my shin and thank myself i was wearing full size boots. Yet when im just cutting a few laps on a soft track, i wear normal shoes. but thats because im compfortable with the way i ride. Ive broken 2 toes and got 6 stiches in the webbing of my toes from just hitting another bike during a 250F race, and the impact of my toes hitting the end of my boot was enough to split my toes apart breaking them and tearing the skin. god damn it hurt. so ensure they fit properly.
if your really unsure about full size boots, borrow a pair off someone and have a ride. if you dont like it,and you buy 50/50 boots, just ensure your own saftey and buy shin guards. easy.

alright, thanks tez
my neighbour has some full size boots but hes probably not my size.
anyway what are some good full size boots around the $200 mark
I was looking at the fox comp 5 youth ones for $200
they look decent :)

Thanks, Mitch.

A group of my dads mates went riding through the Flinders Rangers a earlier this year. And there was only one guy wearing steel cap boots. The rest had proper boots... The guy wearing the steel caps broke his toe and screwed up his ankle. I am going to get some proper boots soon... Seeing some of the accidents that can happen on bikes. Even from simply putting your foot down when going around a corner.

IMO mate, save yourself the hospital bills and pain, get boots.

Since I am not riding on tracks or doing mx or anything, is it still necessary to wear boots?
If stones and stuff fly into your shin is it worth spending over $200 to prevent that from injuring you?

Thanks, Mitch.

put your foot down in a corner or get yourself out of shape and roll an ankle or like me twist the foot the wrong way and bingo you got a few days off at best and at worst... well i'll leave it to your imagination lol

and mate like i said i now have 2 pairs that havent cost me anything but i know you can get 2nd handies on the cheap way under 200 bucks. from what most have already said in this thread i'll leave you with this "the right gear for the right job" or maybe "be prepared son, thats my motto, be prepared" lol

that's almost exactly what my foot was looking like a month ago, i only had A minor fracture and spraining but it put out of work for 3 weeks and walked like cripple for 2 months. I was wearing steel caps which are pretty much the same as 50'50's and it was only a small stack going around a corner too fast in the bush and highsided, engine crushed my foot.
foot.jpg

put your foot down in a corner or get yourself out of shape and roll an ankle or like me twist the foot the wrong way and bingo you got a few days off at best and at worst... well i'll leave it to your imagination lol
hmm my mate bunny hoped his pushy then put his foot down... hmm snaped his leg... 5 month off skool and in a wheelchair has pins holding his leg together so even pushys do a heap of damage

yea people don't seem to realize how dangerous it is, a 140 bike does like 80-90k's, imagine jumping out of a car a 80k's, that's what it's like crashing a bike at that speed, well maybe not as bad cuz of the momentum you have with the bike but still. You could have heaps of high speed violent crashes and come away with only a couple cuts and bruises every time but then one you could have one low speed crash that looks like nothing and end up in a wheelchair for life.

so it doesn't matter if you're not riding MX, it's still just as dangerous

the weirdest one ive seen was my mates poncy chum from his private school came over...were riding pushies on the driveway. this guy fell off, not doing anything special, just an unco. starts screaming his head off, while we just started laughing at him and telling him to get up, dont be a baby. ended up hed shattered his elbow... it was the sort of stack that wouldnt leave a mark on most people:p

happens that he, um, is the heir to faber castell, the pencil company... the bloody pencils are tougher than he was:p

so did they reconstruct his elbow with pencils? seems like steel pins would be overkill

Latest posts

Back