Finally got my MSO

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney

Reaction score
Yeah I got it monday. It is going good. But on tuesday the valve of the rear tube somehow ripped off so I got a new tube fitted at honda on Thursday. The engine has got some grunt.

Ok, I bought Pro Taper grips. How the hell do I get them on?
How do I grease the headstem bearings?
Should the engine be hot or cold when I check the oil?

cheers

It's awesome that you got your bike mate, how much did it cost ya?
Been doing any jumps so far? sounds great

1. I don't think it matters how hot the engine is to check oil
2. Disregard what i just wrote, i read what you said wrong.. With the grips tip a bit of oil inside the grips.. Then tip the grip upside down, let all the oil run out get a rag and wipe the top of the grip , then slide the grip on the bars.

hey man i got mine on wednesday there really good huh?, you have to stretch the grips on to get them to fit.

You don't need to stretch them daniel, just put something which will make them slide on, even cooking oil works.

And sidney, yes it is. re-read my first post, I read your question wrong

use grip glue for ya bar grips cos they will slide on easier then wont come off or spin when ya ride

There is a thred on here that tells you exactly how to grease those bearings (do it soon as it will have hardly any or none at all).

I don't want to make them impossible to get off either. If I use coking oil would it eventually eat away at the ruber or anything like that?

ps my grips are the full diamond duel density grips.

Pro Taper || 2007 || Take Control
third in the back row

to put ya grips on spray some hair spray in those babys works as a lube then drys them right on, insted of gettin grip glue bcoz u might have some hair spray in ya room or what ever
peace

Yep, good on ya mate.. I got the same grips about a week ago, I used some left over motul oil to slicken them up and they slid right on! :p

+ Yellow Prox, I've heard that that stuff dries to quickly and its hard to actually get the grips back off!

How much are rimlocks? maybe i should get one lol

to gets the grip off is hard as BUT

u get a hair dryer and slowly warm around the grip area ad it will sorta melt the hair spray away.. thats the way i did it on my moty and bmx

now here is the correct way to put your grips on if you don't have grip glue, I apologize to anyone in advance if I offend you by telling you the way you have suggested is wrong.
Use isopropynol or metho as this being wet will help the grip slide right on and evaporate without leaving a nasty residue. if you don't have either of these use water or even some of your own spit.
The pros that frequently change their grips, sometimes every race use this method and use a compressor to blow the residual (isopropynol,metho,water) so the grips don't spin or even come off while riding, which can be very dangerous.
Never ever under any circumstances use any oil based product as it will never dry out leaving the grip spinning in your hand.
Most good grips ie: pro grip, pro taper, white knuckle among others have instructions on how to put them on and they all say don't use oil of any kind.
As for the hair spray; that is new to me but if leaves them staying firmly in place why not. Just don't know what they would do to the rubber, possibly nothing.
I apologize again if I burned anyone (Ben) thats not my intension, just want to give good advice.

what a sh1t of a job
i find air the best
no chems
i work for a bearing company and petroleum based liquids will eat most rubbers
the only common one that wont is flurosilicone
a trick i learn't from my bmx days is electrical tape
if you pack the space between your grip, your leavers and your exilirator
it will create a better sealing surface and minimize the amount of dirt and water getting in under your grips

also try a bit of silastic it's good for nice soft bar ends

hope this helps some

Back