First post, awaiting a fullsize China bike.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boingk

Reaction score
Hey there everyone, read through a heap of info on here and after both that and experiences with mates pit bikes from China I've decided to buy a full size 250cc bike myself.

I figure that for about $1500 shipped it can't be worse than a used dirtbike that's been used on the comp circuit and then thrashed by rabid teenagers for years before being listed on the 'net.

I'm a relatively young guy and good with a set of spanners so reckon as long as I go into this methodically and logically it should be alright.

The bike I'm thinking of getting is the SDB Enduro 250cc Pro, powered by the OHC Zongshen unit:

black1.jpg

250cc OHC aircooled engine, 15kW/20hp @ 7000rpm, twin spar frame and 21"/18" wheels.

I picked that one in particular as I like the similar frame construction to the Honda CRF and I'm more comfortable with an aircooled engine in these cheaper bikes. I've heard and read that the radiators on the watercooled jobs are easily damaged and do NOT want to have to mess around with that kind of trouble in the middle of nowhere.

Anywho, just thought I'd drop in and say 'Hi'!

CHeers - boingk

G'day mate welcome to Miniriders.
First things first change the oil as soon as you get it put some good quality oil in it. My mate has one of these and has been quite good to him. Although if you want to start it with the kickstart change it immediately. On my mates bike it was impossible to start. Other then that they are an ok bike.

G'day mate welcome to Miniriders.
First things first change the oil as soon as you get it put some good quality oil in it. My mate has one of these and has been quite good to him. Although if you want to start it with the kickstart change it immediately. On my mates bike it was impossible to start. Other then that they are an ok bike.

Thanks for the advice, especially on the kickstart as I hadn't seen anyone say anything particularly bad about it yet.

Plan so far after it arrives is:

1. Oil change
  2. Locktite components
  3. Change chain
  4. Check wiring for rubbing
  5. Testride!

After about an hours riding I'll change the oil again. I know that braking in is supposed to be gentle but I believe in a short (20min) break-in with progressively higher revs and throttle until you are using full throttle and revs after about 15~20 minutes, after which you are right to ride!

I'll update with pictures etc once the bike arrives, and any and all advice is more than welcome.

CHeers - boingk

EDIT: Saw the Atomik but and am waiting until the end to see if I'll buy it or the SDB ;D

Love the "menstor" racing stickers! Menstor, sounds like a name for menopause medication! Gotta love the chinese. Bike looks OK, give it a good once over and regular servicing and you should get more than 1500 worth of fun out of it

Haha, yeah, I had a chuckle. If you were really keen you could cut out the O's and E's and swap them... but personally I don't think I'd be bothered.

- boingk

save ya money buy a second hand jap bike
get a cheep 2 stroke and you wont go to wrong. you will just be pileing money into junk on these things where as on a jap bike you pileing money into something rideable

but if you have to buy this the air cooled zonga donga goes harder than the water cooled one
but the bike is very very heavy

Cheers coolmodee, I ended up pulling the trigger on the aircooled version. For $1580 delivered I reckon that's a hellava lot better than what I'd get in the used market for the same money.

The to-do list might be a bit more than a used bike, but then again I'll be needing to do maintenance and deal with shagged running gear with whatever I buy at this price point.

Thanks for dropping in and offering some honest advice. I definitely understand the risk/return kind of argument for these bikes but for $1500 I don't think I'll be selling it. If it makes a difference, it was financed with a marine outboard I fixed up and sold plus a few radio control airplanes I don't fly anymore.

On a side note, you'll save $50 on freight through Cob & Co if you purchase directly through them via their contact number instead of through eBay.

Cheers - boingk

Cheers coolmodee, I ended up pulling the trigger on the aircooled version. For $1580 delivered I reckon that's a hellava lot better than what I'd get in the used market for the same money.

The to-do list might be a bit more than a used bike, but then again I'll be needing to do maintenance and deal with shagged running gear with whatever I buy at this price point.

Thanks for dropping in and offering some honest advice. I definitely understand the risk/return kind of argument for these bikes but for $1500 I don't think I'll be selling it. If it makes a difference, it was financed with a marine outboard I fixed up and sold plus a few radio control airplanes I don't fly anymore.

On a side note, you'll save $50 on freight through Cob & Co if you purchase directly through them via their contact number instead of through eBay.

Cheers - boingk
1374513184807.jpg http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/helensburgh/motorcycles/xt250/1025623770
1003019_10200283828394523_22701268_n.jpg

You should read the big writeup that Thump*140 did on the Atomik Blitz. A lot of the things that he says can be carried over as the frames are the same, only real difference between the bikes is the motor and plastics

Ha! Wish I'd seen that before.

Maybe I'll just buy it as well.

- boingk

EDIT: Thanks for the writeup Blender, sounds alright. The carb does indeed look like a big restriction point, I reckon a 30~36mm carby would be fine. The XT may have been a better option but the SDB is on the way now and, besides, the XT is a ways away from me and has close to 50,000km on it.

Last edited:
I've never really looked into these 250cc china bikes, but they look pretty sharp. Lets get some pics up when you get the bike!
-Chris

Easy as Chris, I'll do a full review with pics, including any and all modifications I do to it. I've got a Mikuni VM35SS carby lying around so that may go on at some stage, if you're interested in power.

Cheers - boingk

Yeah the carby is a definite weak point with these bikes. I put a 26mm oko on mine and cut down the muffler like thump suggests and it really opens it up.

Might have to get another :rolleyes:

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk 2

mate the biggest carb i would be putting on that bike is 28mm the ideal option would be to get an oko 26mm. perfect balance between bottom end and top end. but try and do everything thump*140 did to his blitz. he knew what he was talking about...

I have a pit pro 250sxr and man does it fly i have ridden drz250s and this thing eats it. I can pull throttle wheelies in 3rd. The sxr has the next model of motor after the sbd's. My bike has a kehin pumper carb on it and i think its a 32mm.

To be honest mate take the forks off and drain the oil out these bikes dont have adjustable suspension unfortunatly. So find the right weight oil for your weight and then the suspension will work so much better.

Sorry that post seems like I am gloating about my bike. Was just trying to say the idea that these motors are not weak at all.

Sorry that post seems like I am gloating about my bike. Was just trying to say the idea that these motors are not weak at all.

No worries at all mate, sou ds good to me.

If the 35 is too big then Ill pony up for an OKO, think they are only 70 or so shipped. If you're running a 32 then surely a 28 or 30 would be alright?

Cheers - boingk

Latest posts

Back