For the car people. Have I ruined my paint.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motoluver

Reaction score
I decided to give my new car a polish. There was a couple little scratches here and there what I tried to cut out before I polished it but now my car is left with millions of blury hair line scratches where I have used the cutting compound. You cant really see it in the photos because my camera is a pos.
img1194zq3.jpg

When its in the sun the marks look shocking:mad:
But when its in the shade shes beautiful
img1183hz0.jpg

I am pretty sure its because the car has a clear coat and I didnt read the instructions before I applied the cutting compound "do not use on clear coat surfaces":mad:

Any simple cheap fixes? I have repolished it about 5 times now and it is looking a little better.

Last edited:
yer i think youve burnt the clear off LOL... were you using the buffer.. or just by hand?

you have answered your own question dude,

you have cut the clear away,

NEVER USE CUTING COMPOUND ON 2 PAK,

cutting is only for acrylic where it needs to be cut to become shiny,

all you can do is polish it a few times, than few layers of carnuba wax,

feel sorry for ya dude:mad: sweet car

yer i thought ya burnt the clear away *proud face*.... Im such a noob at this car stuff LOL.

dad just bought me and my bro a car to learn in.. Its a VPs-pac 5spd manual, genie extractors, 17" wheels, lowered.. and all this other stuff that im clueless about.. Ill try get some piks when its home.

its not really burnt, its physically "cut" it away,

rubbing compound contains abrasive fibres, which basically act like sandpaper,

anything that says CUT is a nono for clearcoats,

Awsome car dude, i used to own a VL Berlina turbo for a while. That thing was awsome.

Ive always loved the look of the VL, got anymore pics ? Throw on a walkinshaw front spoiler without the lower lip.

God damn. It didn't do it to my other vl :mad: Is there a way I can put another touch of clear coat on or would it need to be professionally done?

Yeh KTMKID, this is stock as a rock with a 5 speed. Its a berlina pretty immaculate interior for its age and the dash says 112000km's heheh broken of course... the previous owner says its done around the 140000km mark.

Awsome car dude, i used to own a VL Berlina turbo for a while. That thing was awsome.

Ive always loved the look of the VL, got anymore pics ? Throw on a walkinshaw front spoiler without the lower lip.

Nah I like the original look of the VL's, not a fan of bodykits unless the car comes with them stock. Ill post up some pics after dinner.

i like original walkinshaws they look mint, hope you fix your paint.

I am pretty sure that VL's came with acrylic paint from the factory (they didnt go two pack until VP i think) so unless yours is resprayed it should buff out. Take it to a panel beaters and pay for a buff IMO

Thanks cass38a. That would explain why my other VL turned out fine using the cutting compound as this car was resprayed maybe a year or two ago. Its going to the panel beaters soon to get a new bumper sprayed so ill ask them and see what they say.
img1184zn0.jpg

img1181hk8.jpg

img1182ly1.jpg

cass i dont think thats a standard vl colour is it

nice ride but all it needs is some booooooooost

Stock VL had single stage acrylic,

Get a panel shop to look at it, dont go touching it anymore,

Cause yours is 2pac, and will make it worse will more rubbing,

Use WAX to keep the shine on the paint, pure wax wont hurt the clear coat, and is used to protect the gloss againt UV rays, bird crap etc, (doesnt contain abrasives)

and POLISH to remove light swirls, rubbing polish will eventually remove your clear coat, so only use when needed, and dont rub hard, (polish contains abrasives)

NEVER use Rubbing/Cutting compounds on clear coats, (acrylics you can) thats why your other VL it worked fine, and this one its removed the clear,

Last edited:
Damn... What do you think will have to be done? I have very little money right now. The new bumper will be going on before I get this issue addressed.

I run a detailing shop. You should be able to get the scratches buffed out. there is not much chance that you went through the clear coat by hand, probably only scratched it. The shops should never sell that cutting polish to the public. I see cars that get ruined by it daily. I buff two pack every day , dont know where some people get their info? Your car looks like it has been resprayed so it is probably two pack. If it was the origional VL acrilic it would be way hammered by now no matter how well it was looked after. Give your local panel shop or Touch up guys a call and they should be able to fix it.:)

I run a detailing shop. You should be able to get the scratches buffed out. there is not much chance that you went through the clear coat by hand, probably only scratched it. The shops should never sell that cutting polish to the public. I see cars that get ruined by it daily. I buff two pack every day , dont know where some people get their info? Your car looks like it has been resprayed so it is probably two pack. If it was the origional VL acrilic it would be way hammered by now no matter how well it was looked after. Give your local panel shop or Touch up guys a call and they should be able to fix it.:)

Thats right,

Two pack and clear over base are way more durable than acrylic and can be buffed pretty hard by people who know what they are doing. If your are getting a new bar you should be able to get a small area (one or two panels)buffed for free.

Thats right,

Two pack and clear over base are way more durable than acrylic and can be buffed pretty hard by people who know what they are doing. If your are getting a new bar you should be able to get a small area (one or two panels)buffed for free.

agree, last year at the panel shop here, there was a guy (young lad) who completely covered his VT commodore in rubbing compound, and procedded to hit with a buffing wheel, i saw the car when my car was in the shop, prime example of your comment,

Ok sounds good then as long as its easy repaired its all good. I got a mate who is an apprentice sprayer who i might get to spray my bumper... Thanks for all your help guys.

Latest posts

Back