Fork Seals Help Request

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry mate, i cant be everywhere at once, and sadly, dont have the answer to every tech question posted.
I'll have a look in to it, and see what i can figure out.

Thanks Thump 140

The Youtube flick is nothing to do with my original question DvDRip. I wanted know a simple way to change fork seals without buying all the special tools from the Bike shops.

I thought using this forum was research??

Thanks anyway

Last edited:
Hey Tonner,

I work 12 hours a day roughly, and generally dont get a huge amount of time after work...
To try and simplify the challenge laid down, can you tell me what sort of forks you are running? are they conventionals or USD forks?
If you can let me know, i'll go have a look in the shed, and see if i can find some answers to your queries. it might take me awhile, spare shed time isnt easy to come by at present, but i'll get something done when i can. Hopefully in the meantime, someone with some experience in the matter might be able to help...
I have done forks before, but not mini forks, and they have only be at this stage, tinkering with damping rods, and changing oil levels... which i'm gathering isnt really going to help you...
Anyways, let me know what sorta forks your running, i'll see what i can find out.

this video from BBR might help http://media.bbrmotorsports.com/How_To/Windows/SP5_ForkSeal_Win.wmv I haven't watched it yet but will soon, there other guides are usually pretty good, hope it helps

ok I just watched the video, just take out the retaining spring with a flatblade screwdriver, then pop the seal out with the screwdriver, if you have trouble getting it out heat the tube with a blowtorch or boiling water

Last edited:
Thanks thump*140 they are old style conventional forks off a Kawasaki KLR250, not upside jobs, the problem is to remove the fork shaft for easy access to the seal you need special kawasaki tools to lock a special nut in the bottom of the inner tube which then allows you to undo the allen key in the bottom of the outer tube, once you have domne this you can remove the inner tube for easy access to the seals.

The seals are quite deep inside the fork leg which makes it difficult to access with the inner tube in place and although I have dug them out with a screw driver before I managed to damage the area where the dust seal sits in the top of the outer tube.

I would like to avoid doing this again if I can. I thought someone may have had an idea from on a homade removal tool.

cheers

Thanks DvDRip but I would rather keep a blowtorch away from the alloy fork tube, boiling water might help. I have previously dug them out before but as I said above it damages the sealing area.

Cheers

Last edited:
They have a tool for this:rolleyes::
1111908875_7ac0bc2294.jpg

They do come in handing....Think i might have to go out and buy some:rolleyes: Goodluck with it mate.

Narh I don't know where you can get them as I don't know where you live :p

Umm supercheap auto, eBay.. Pretty much any car shop should have them, some motoshops might have them. The one in the link you provided might be a bit big on the width of the end and probibly won't be able to get it those triky spots.

Hope you get it all sorted out :)

Latest posts

Back