front forks and rear shock ??

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crim 87

Reaction score
hey guys just wondering what are the ways the make them stiffer went for a hoot today and the forks and rear shock were really soft want to stiffen them up a bit ??

cheers

Front Suspension: Heavy duty up-side-down (USD) front forks (GOLD) - longer travel than stock
Rear Suspension: Piggy-back reservoir rear shock absorber with heavy duty spring

Front Suspension: Heavy duty up-side-down (USD) front forks (GOLD) - longer travel than stock
Rear Suspension: Piggy-back reservoir rear shock absorber with heavy duty spring

^^^guess they aint heavy duty then, if they're too soft... ha ha ha..

mate you want questions answered, you may want to rethink your question and include some details...
cant help if we dont know what we're trying to fix... :)

i clearly stated in the first post that i had been doing some jumps and they were way to soft and was just wondering if there was anyway to tighten them or make them stiffer

ok fair call. is it the valving in the suspension that's too soft, or is it just the springs?
Most shocks will be adjustable for preload. Depending on the shock brand, it may also have rebound and compression dampening adjusters as well.
Also, depending on the fork type, they may also have adjustable compression and rebound, hence my comment about details... If you dont tell us what TYPE of suspension you have, we cant give immediate answers as to what is going to help with your suspension woes..
Do you have adjustable suspension, or is it basic stuff? You've noted it's heavy duty stuff, but if it's bottoming everywhere and too soft with you, i'd question just how "heavy duty" it is...
If it's basic non-adjustable stuff, your options are basically to preload the rear shock if possible, and preload the fork springs, and raise the oil level or go to a heavier weight of oil.
if you have adjustable suspension, then you have the option of increasing spring preload, as well as adjusting compression dampers... Compression dampers will usually be marked as to which is which, and usually an arrow or "s" and "h" denoting Soft or Hard. Obviously, turning the adjusters towards "hard" will stiffen the suspension by mildly altering the valving, by chaning the aperture of the compression valves, and allowing less oil to travel through as the speed of spring compression rises..

and remember if you have adjustable suspension, for every action, there is an equal reaction... so rebound adjusters will also need tweaking if you alter your compression damping rates...
Tell us in more detail what type of suspension you have front and back, then we can be of a bit more assistance in giving you options in stiffening it up...

well its just a stock pit pro big foot 140 so im not to sure of the brands of the shock or forks. thats why i asked i wasn't sure if it was adjustable or not ??

hmm. does it have what look like knobs that turn, small screws or similar on the suspension?
better still, can you post some clear pics up showing clearly the suspension components?
Then we can start helping. :D

Hey yeah im in the same boat as this dude,

standard usd forks cheap shit ones, non-adjustable, how can we siffen them up. im guessing from your post before, just heavier oil for the front forks?

What about rears, just wind the spring up/down?

lol, should just spend some money and buy some decent suspension LOL. :)

with the rear get a hammer and screwdriver and tighten it up, for the forks just pour out the old oil into a measuring jug and replace with 15w oil, some spacers to compress the sprigs a bit will help take up the slack in cheapo forks.

here's a guide from crazy latin seven:
1.Take forks out of clamps by unscrewing clamp screws.
2.Clamp fork in a vice(note: put a rag on the bit u are putting in the vice as it will mark if you dont).
3.Unscrew big screw on top of forks.( Hold your hand on top because sometimes it springs up.)
4. Take out fork spring. Or some forks the spring is attached the the screw and cannot be removed that easily but no big deal).
5. If your spring can come out easily or not use this method.
6. Tilt fork on side to a container and then pump the fork a until most or all oil is out.
7. Add fork oil( most pitbike forks take around 200mls or 250mls.
8. Put spring back in and tighten the top screw back into place.
9. Remove from vice
10. Place back into clamps and tighten clamps. ( you can adjust them higher or lower to suit your riding).

Latest posts

Back