Gear Position Sensor

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingers

Reaction score
Hey guys went riding with my mate on the weekend and my mates mate had a little box with a couple of leds in it that would indicate what gear the bike was in. I thought this might be a good idea to look into making for myself, so i was just wondering how something like this would be made?

I have a lifan 140cc motor, the guy said something about there being a black wire so the 140 may be able to indicate neutral as well, his only indicated gears not netral as well. Any information on this would be good, or any wiring diagrams, would be helpful.

Thanks

why would u want 1 of them?? cant u tell wat gear your in by counting or wat speed your going????

just saying its pretty stupid if u need to look at a light to tell u wat gear your in....

I was going to do the same thing myself using the gear position indicator off a suzuki GS125. The N / gear switch is located on the stator side of the engine above the sprocket. As for wiring diagrams, your on your own there but a few minutes with a test light should sort you out

itd still b a bit of fun to fiddle round with one if u get one put on put up sum pics

I think its not really a very good idea for a few of reasons. Firstly, theres only 4 gears on your bike. Secondly, I think it would be more distracting if anything coz your eyes should be on whats ahead and not trying to squint in the sunlight trying to see which light is lit up. Finally, a rider should be able to tell what gear they are in by the feel of the bike but I know this needs to be learnt first and will start to become natural to you over time.

So id say learn by feel and not by a light coz looking at a light is just lazy and not a good help when trying to learn.

Thats just my opinion but if you want one then go for it.

If its just for show (the reason i was going to do it) i cant see a problem. I can see the merits of a neutral light for some learner riders who have trouble finding neutral. If your looking at instiments instead of the road ahead you shouldnt be on a bike anyway imo

i only really wanted on cause i've got nothin better to do with my time, lol, plus im an apprentice sparky so i thought it would be good to learn how it worked, the only one i would mostly use is the neutral one though cause its a bit of a b**** to get on my bike for some reason and i keep stalling it when i come to a stop cause i let the clutch go and its still in gear

It would be good for riding with mates who have two strokes. Can't hear your own engine, only feel the over rev when you know its time to change gears

Latest posts

Back