gearing issues

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geezus18

Reaction score
hey fellas,
i recently bumped my gearing up to 16 front and 37 rear...this has given me hepas of top end and my gears are virtually twice as long as my stock gearing. The problem im having is it takes aaages to get through 3rd, and it bogs down so easy on hills and shit. ive hit 4th a couple of times lol but have only reached like 1/4 throttle through it and im keepin up with mates at full throttle 4th.
If i had a nice long flat bit of road i rekon i could get it up to 100 km/h with the gearing i have :p
can i adjust my carbi in anyway to provide less or more fuel to stop the bogging or do i need to just change my gearing a bit again? maybe...16 front 41 rear (heard that a good match up)

cheers, Michael :)

I've got the same gearing and have no prob's at all with it, what sort of carb do you have

You cant have both top end and bottom end.

Match your gearing to where you ride. You want to be able to use all gears and have the engine reving well in all of them. If i was you I would change them again.

37 rear is too small imo,

id go 41T, that seems to be alot better mix of top and low end speeds,

I also think that with a 16 on the front you need a 41 at least on the rear, or go back to a 14/15 on the front.

id stay 16/41

cause he has bad chain issues with a 14 on the front i believe,

yeah ur damn rite i had BAD chain issues lol...i mite go with a 41 rear..only problem is i think ti threaded the thread in the back hub when i put the 37 sprocket on (it was way back in the day-beginner :p), is it possible to get my hub re tapped (re-threaded) or is the crap its made out of too weak?

geezus18.
We can repair your sprocket bolt hole easily.We have the facilities to fit a Helicoil [A stainlees steel threaded insert that allows you to use the original bolt size/diameter.Repair Cost is $20.00
Note some hubs are very thin because of poor casting,in SOME cases the hubs cannot be Helicoiled and repaired repaired !!

Cheers Brian

ok cool! its a bit of a pain that i live in victor tho...my hub is starting to crack whcik is a bit of a worry( actually first noticed it months ago...and it hasnt got any worse??)..and i cant find the same rear hub as mine ANYWHERE! ive seen one the same on ebay a few times but apart from that...i mite see if a mates dads friend can tap it for me or something (hes a bodgey guy lol hut he gets the job done one way or another lol) thanks anyways and ill see how it goes..and yeah if anyone has an avenger rear hub (prefferebly whole set up) let me know :)

cheers, Michael :)

37 tooth or nothing, anything else is terrible if you ask me, dont know what my front sprocket is though.

id say stay with the 16/37, thats what im using an have no problems with it

when my carby wasnt tuned right the bike ran shit with the 16/37 so i put 14/37 an it ran better but once i tuned the carby perfectly the 14/37 didnt give me enough top end so i changed back to the 16/37 an its really good

your carby is whats giving you the problem a good tune will help alot

yeah but carbis are a pain and im still after a bit more clearance over the swingarm which is what the larger rear sprocket would give me :)
thanx any hoo!

As my sig says, i run a 37t rear and a 17t front... yeah BABY!!!!

My bike gear ratio is shit... first is nothin but noise... 3.273.

That said, Im using my spare at the mo which is only a 10", I haven't tried the 12" yet.

I LOVE 17/37 .... rips hard... still no use for 1st though

:D

Latest posts

Back