Geoff's DHZ 140 into a KTM build on the cheap

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtsGeoff

Reaction score
Ok i want a KTM on a $500 budjet. So I have a DHZ 140 Outlaw that I want to turn into a KTM.

Now i must remind everyone that rule No. 1 is keeping this cheap, so I got a quote for KTM sx50 plastics just for a laugh. Well going OEM with a tank is $745.00.

Hmmmm bike was exactly $500 (a steal since it had not had a tank of juice through it yet) so plastics for $250 more than the bike was worth.... ummmm NO. this would also mean some welding a new mount for the tank onto the frame. Not really a problem cause i can mig weld and paint - but still 750!!!!

Next Problems were colour and sticker kit.

colour- I originally wanted the KTM orange cause the basic colour of the DHZ outlaw is so close to the KTM (without plastics) its not funny. But i was worried that there would be 2 different kits so colour matching may be an issue. So i went for black aftermarket guard and number plate for $64 then use CRF 50 plastics ($32 from ebay in taiwan i hope this is legit)for the rest of the bike. so far $94. all ordered but nothing arrived yet.

Next what theme to use?

Problem No.2 i have half a KTM and half CRF 50. No sticker kit is made for my plastics. Hmmm. dammit.

- i can get custom graphics for about $250 more or less. No remember Rule No.1 - Cheap.
- What about a crf and a KTM sticker kit umm no again too much. and lots left over. kinda stoopid. so No again.

so now i have a whole lot of stickers booked marked and im leaning towards a one industries theme.

anyhoo i'll keep you posted - this is the start. BTW how do i get a picture up? is there a "how to" part of the site?

this is the bike looks now - totally stock BOORING

Geoff
gtsgeoff
DSC00001.jpg

Last edited:
Upload the pics to photo bucket. Then copy the img code into the little box that pops up when you
Click the mini image at the top of the reply box .

should be abit of a chanllenge for you, i remember seeing some on on planet minis doin this to a lxr

i could be wrong but i think there the standard pitster bars before the changed them

yer in that pic they looked nice & short & high... but there not, i hate super wide bars

p1060054i.jpg

you mean the stock tapered handle bars, & no i have no need to make my bike feel like a truck haha

lol.... they look much wider then they actually are and yer the stock ones that come on x4r's

ITS FINISHED sorta

Its sorta finished - they are never finished are they? still more to do but awaiting stickers etc

imgp3615x.jpg

Last edited:
Here you go mate:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looks good!

(embedding this one was a bit different, click embed this image, then FORUM. It is a [URl) link but seems to have worked)

Last edited:
thats it

yep that's it. thanks for that j

well I painted the spring
re covered the seat
KTM 65 guard
KTM numberplate
there are a few more things to paint and some stickers to go but that is basically it,

Geoff

understand what you are trying to achieve, and if your happy with it then thats all that matters.

but i think your miles away. looks like a crf with a ktm sticker to me.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hey mate,
on ebay there are usually ktm replicas going for cheap, if you didnt want to buy the whole bike you could email the seller and see if they sell plastics seperately, they would be real cheap too

on ebay there are usually ktm replicas going for cheap, if you didnt want to buy the whole bike you could email the seller and see if they sell plastics seperately, they would be real cheap too

yeah, they look alright ay

understand what you are trying to achieve, and if your happy with it then thats all that matters.

but i think your miles away. looks like a crf with a ktm sticker to me.

Thanks for your opinion Westy.

of course your right, however it shows that either

1 you didn't read what i was trying to achieve or
2 i didn't write what i was trying to achieve.

so i'll try for some common understanding

cheap, easy and fast.

To get KTM plastics you need to cut bits off the frame and weld more bits on, move the mounting point for the tank, and get a new seat. I have a mig and can use it and a big compressor and a 3 deVillbis and Star guns and the knowledge how to use them. I can upholster too. But seriously what a pain. Then the plastics paint etc. it went against the Number one priority = CHEAP and EASY.

so i put on a KTM 65 guard and front plate the rest is all honda.

I thought this bike would polarize the community. You'll Love it or hate it but it would be hard to ignore.

Latest posts

Back